The return of family values...

livid

LOS ANGELES — Eight years after creating and headlining the inaugural Family Values Tour, Korn are relaunching the traveling festival this summer with co-headliners the Deftones.

"The first [Family Values] with us on it was the best, and we just decided, let's do this again," Korn singer Jonathan Davis said of 1998's outing with Limp Bizkit, Ice Cube, Rammstein and Orgy. "We're gonna break out the old Family Values stuff we got in storage and really put on a cool show."

Rounding out the mainstage lineup will be Stone Sour, Flyleaf and Dir En Gray, who Davis described as "this crazy Japanese band that are just out of their minds."

For the first time, the trek will also feature a second stage, with acts to be announced soon. "We're gonna have some hip-hop acts and some other variety stuff gong on," Davis said during a recent studio session with Dem Franchize Boyz (see "Are Korn Coming Undone? Rockers Turn To Crunk, Acoustic Songs"). "I think it's gonna be a really cool summer show."

Korn are putting the value in Family Values, offering $9.99 lawn tickets at each stop on the tour, which kicks off July 27 in Virginia Beach.

"No band can go down to $9.99 and do the production and that kind of stuff that we're doing, but the deal we did [becoming equal partners with EMI and promoters Live Nation] allows us to be able to do that, which is really cool," Davis said. "I don't want to slap bands for making their ticket prices so high, 'cause I understand production and that stuff costs a lot. ... But Madonna's are like 300 bucks a ticket. I can't even believe that. Ten bucks for a show is ridiculous, and I think kids that aren't Korn fans will wanna go just to check out other bands or just go to have a good time."

Having a good time will also be a priority for Korn, who will balance their intense sets with a lot of backstage hanging out.

"We haven't toured with [the Deftones] since '97 or '96, and we're really excited," Davis said. "We love those guys. We started out together. Literally it was us and them, and back in the day we used to drive to Sacramento [California] and play at their home clubs. And they would drive to Huntington Beach and play the clubs we'd play, so we've been friends for a long, long time, and it's cool to be back together again and sharing the same stage."

And the feelings are mutual, according to Deftones singer Chino Moreno.

"We've had a crazy relationship because we've always distanced ourselves from Korn so we could be our own band," Moreno said. "Their first record came out before ours, so it was always like we were following in their footsteps. And I think we had to do that, and now it's time to just have fun. We don't care so much about that stuff anymore. We just want to play with friends."

Moreno also confirmed Davis' promise that their bands will be performing their collaboration "Wicked" onstage together. "There's a bunch of cool stuff I want to do," Moreno said.

Korn just finished a headlining arena trek heavy on album tracks (see "Korn Rock Hometown, Have Street Named After Them On 'Official Korn Day'") but are planning a much different show for the summer.

"We're gonna bring in different songs and play for two hours," Davis said. "That's our new thing. We never played for two hours in our whole career. We thought we would die, but now when I get onstage, I want to do more. So it might be more, you never know."

Deftones will be using the tour to debut new material from their fifth studio album, due in September (see "Why Is The New Deftones Album Taking So Long?"). The bandmembers just came off the Taste of Chaos Tour with Thrice and Atreyu but are looking forward to another festival (see "Taste Of Chaos '06 Tour Dates Revealed").

"That was weird because we were the oldest band there. You see a lot of the younger bands, and it's just a reminder of how things are now," Moreno said. "It was a good time, but we felt like grandparents out there sometimes."

After 1998's run, Family Values returned a year later with Limp Bizkit, Filter, the Crystal Method, Primus, Staind, Mobb Deep, Ja Rule, and Method Man and Redman. In 2001, Stone Temple Pilots, Linkin Park, Staind, Static-X and Deadsy revived the name.

Dates for the 30-city Family Values Tour will be announced later, but organizers released a list of cities:

* Albuquerque, New Mexico

* Alpine Valley, Wisconsin

* Atlanta

* Boston

* Camden, New Jersey

* Cleveland

* Columbus, Ohio

* Dallas

* Darien, Connecticut

* Denver

* Detroit

* Hartford, Connecticut

* Holmdel, New Jersey

* Houston

* Indianapolis

* Kansas City, Missouri

* Nashville

* Phoenix

* Pittsburgh

* Raleigh, North Carolina

* Sacramento, California

* San Antonio

* San Bernardino, California

* Saratoga, New York

* St. Louis

* Toronto

* Virginia Beach, Virginia

* Wantagh, New York

* Washington, D.C.

* West Palm Beach, Florida

Eh, nothing too appealing to me. Maybe Stone Sour. They should have put Balzac as the japanese band, but whatever floats their boat.

I'd go since the tickets are cheap and they're coming to Nashville. I want to see who the hip-hop acts are, since those will probably be better than the lackluster rock stage (I like Flyleaf, but they're horrible live).

I'm pretty sure DIG CDs are distributed in the US, Fanku.

Then again, I'm probably underestimating fangirl motherfuckers who'll import the CD just because "they look so dreamy" or whatever..