KEITH CLARK VS DOCHAPPY

WEST WING SEMIFINALS

Keith Clark vs Dochappy

Story: The National Science Foundation is holding a 'Art of Evolution' competition for all aspiring artists across the nation. The grand price is quite impressive, and all they ask is for artists, both typical and digital, to design for them a new species of animal hybrid. You must depict the animal in a scene of it's 'natural habitat' where the evolution took place. Parody entries and serious ones are allowed, but the creature must be an original and not a copy (such as a lyger or zyphoid)

Basic Rules: Create a hybrid animal through the images of two or more other animals, and then place it in a natural setting it might adapt well in. Really try to flex your creative muscles with this one.

Restrictions: The 'natural setting' can be however you please, just try to keep it somewhat related to what you've created. Make the animal the focus of the graphic.

Size: No size limit, but keep it resonable.

Deadline: May 8th, 2006

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Had several ideas I wanted to do besides this one but I couldn't get them to come out right so I just stuck with this one . good luck keith . can't wait to see what you come up with.

A New species has been Discovered : Bigerat

Guest muddatrucker

The wings don't look completely real and I'd of liked to see something more extravagent but its nice enough, the text on the side really lets it down, especially the random spaces between commas and the poor english.

I hate this, but my sister likes it. So it gets uploaded. I tried crossing a rhino with a goldfish, but I couldn't get the transition from scales > hide to look right, let alone the colour.

So anyway, here's what I'm going with.

post-50-1147113421_thumb.jpg

post-50-1147113421_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ALLDAWSON'S JUDGING

Keith vs Dochappy

Keith

Pros: Very good manipulations, fits into the background well too.

Cons: I really don't see any cons here, it's very, very good.

--

Dochappy

Pros: The manipulation of the tiger's head onto the cat's body is good. I like the idea of the information to the side.

Cons: The wing manipulation is poor. The 'Bigerat' doesn't 'fit in' to the environment all too well.

WILDCAT'S JUDGING

PROS: I love the name of your creature and the idea behind the animal itsef. I also think that thee framing and text go well together.

CONS: The blending is good but the main image with the tiger is blurry and the pig's nose is very clear which makes the image look bad. And I dunno if those are the tigers eyes or if you used something else but they should have been cleaned up in editing if this were ging to a competition. Also putting the nose of a pig on a tiger isn't that big of a feat, you would have gotten more points if you had also swapped the ears or had patches of pigskin mixed into the fur or something.

Dochappy

PROS: The idea of a cat/tiger is kind of boring since they are already pretty much the same type of animal, though mixing them with a bird makes it much more interesting. The blending between Tiger to cat is done pretty well and I like the background and the use of the transparant rectangle instead of just placing text directly on the background.

CONS: The exectuion of the feathers on the fur didn't quite come out well and theres some gramatical and spacing errors in the text that are pretty noticable.

Judgement: I went with DOCHAPPY becuase I think his image looks like more time went into the actual design and not just into the idea and concept part. He also took a bigger risk trying to put feathers on a cat where swapping a nose of a pig and putting it on a tiger isn't all that impressive.

MY JUDGING

KEITH

-------------

Pros: Very clever idea indeed-- I love the picture used, loved how you set it all up, and I love the execution of it... to a certain extent.

Cons: The transition from pig snout to baby tiger face is very rough-- it's easy to tell where you had some problems with the transitioning of skin-to-fur. It's a very simple transition to be honest, but even simple ones can be pulled off well. Yours... well, yours was pulled off okay.

DOCHAPPY

-------------

Pros: I do like how you've set everything up... the environment works well for me in regards to the type of animal you've created here. Colors balance out nicely, and I like how you went into detail on the graphic about the animal's nature.

Cons: The engrish kind-of lets down the novelty of what you've done in your description, unfortunately. Also, the transition of wings to the cat is poorly done, and the outline of the tiger head seems to have a glow about it-- likely due to rough blending and cutting. It just... unfortunately, it wasn't pulled off very well.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

You both put out decent efforts, I'll be honest with you there, but it feels as though this time around it was the East Wing's time to shine.

Keith, you took the simple route and only worked on a Tiger/Pig transition, using only the snout of the pig as the add-on, and it at least came out decently. Again, I do like how you set it all up, however.

Doc, you went for something vastly more challenging and, in the end, came out with a mediocre result unfortunately. I do applaud your bravado however, you took on a big challenege and you didn't do poorly. The engrish and the poor blending, however, are what brings it down enough for me to make my final decision.

Keith gets my vote, and will advance on to the East Wing finals. You both did a good job, and you both have vastly proven that you could have made it to the finals had your paths not crossed when they did. However, in the end, Keith comes off with this one by just a hair.

Doc... I've been very impressed with you thus far. You've done good, man, you deserved your semi spot. Congrats on making it so far, good luck next time, and I hope you had fun :)

Keith: what can I say? You're the only person left that people have predicted to make it this far. Fizzle's out, AJ's out, Doc's out... you're going up against a guys who've not yet fully established themselves around the graphics forum. You well deserve to have made it this far, and I wish you luck in the next round. Hope to see more stellar work out of you!

Congrats to the both of you for your acheivements.. good luck to Keith, thank you to Dochappy, and that concludes the semifinals of the Revolution tournament once and for all!

Edited by The Mask of Norro