... for Sergei Gonchar 

28. San Jose Sharks

Just adding talent to the franchise pool 

29. Washington Capitals (from DET)

... for Robert Lang 

30. Tampa Bay Lightning

'Punishment' for winning Stanley Cup 

Ovechkin confident at #1 prospect in draft: ESPN Article about him

It's all but certain Ovechkin will go #1, but after about the first 5-6 picks I think this draft is sub-par and uncertain. Players could drop majorly and others could go up majorly because teams have there own preferences that they think is great, where as another team would have him ranked to go in 4th or 5th round.

Somehow the Rangers have already made the Stupid Pick of the Night: Al Montoya, who is a solid goaltending prospect, but the Rangers already have Blackburn. Morons.

Looks like Blackburn might not be recovering well from his injury. That's the only reason I could think of. I thought the Rangers would try moving up to #1 because they had so many picks

Yeah, the Rangers have Blackburn, but they shoved him into the #1 spot WAY before he was ready, and now the kid is just shellshocked.

Blackburn played about NO TIME last year because of an injury, and he keeps getting re-injured while rehabbing.

No sense taking chances, and Montoya is pretty much a sure-fire prospect.

Plus, if they have no need for him, they can ship him off in a trade for someone who they could use.

It may not have been the smartest pick [schremp would've fit nicely there], but it wasn't terrible.

Kiprusoff was shit in San Jose. Sure, he fucked the Sharks over in the play-offs, but what they did for him was good for both parties: It gave Toskala more confidence as the back-up, gave Kipper a shot at a starting job, and gave Calgary life as a contender.

I'm sure San Jose wouldn't agree to the "positives", though. ;)

On another note, my MAIN MAN Sami Lepisto was taken in the third round by Washington. A great selection, that.

Guest bruins72

I was pretty bummed that the Washington Capitols scooped up Chris Bourque (Ray's son) at the beginning of the first round. The Bruins didn't even have a chance to pick him because they didn't have a pick until late in the second round. It would've been sweet to see another Bourque play for the Bruins.

well we've traded picks in the last two years for the likes of Nolan and Leetch. Big market teams trade picks all the time because of the "win now" attitude.

When will we trade enough picks to get by the Flyers in the playoffs?

*hates the Flyers*

Kid from my league got drafted, last pick of draft. I was kinda shocked but then again he is a pretty good player. He had one really good game against us with like a hat trick and an assist or 2, but I guess he really shined at Hockey Night In Boston and got scouted by some NHL scouts...

Guest Takayamanofear

Well Hockey drafts like baseball drafts the picks are good just most people don’t know them. They are either European, playing in juniors or college hockey all of which get very little attention in the draft. Its also about future, I sometimes look at drafts 3 or 4 years later and say wow that was a good draft before I was like who the hell are these guys.

Montoya will be great I have had the privilege of seeing him live about 5 times now. He is getting better and better. He almost was the MVP of the frozen four in his freshman year it will be interesting to see how long Michigan keeps him.

They also got Darin Oliver, I go to Northern so I watched him play every game this year he is really good. He will also be a good player in the future for the Rangers.