KEITH CLARK VS AARON MAIDEN

The Pepsi is insignificant to the atmosphere of a rundown construction site. I just find it difficult to think AM's is better, since although it turned out really well it's pretty much the first thing you would think to do. Keith's had tons more creativity.

Keith's required far more graphical effort and is more creative, although perhaps falls a little flat as an advert because of the whole dirty construction site. AM's is a nice, cleaner and works better as an advert, but I could have made that, and I'm not particularly great at graphics.

For once, I'm waiting on you and Wildcat, and not the other way around!

Hoorash, this round's gonna end at a reasonable time and not weeks later! The Grand Finale will actually be ready before next year!

I'm so proud of myself :D

I prefer Keiths. Aaron's is good, but you'd only look at it for a split second if you drove or walked past it, or in this case, click onto the next page quicker. You'd stop and stare at Keith's. There's more there to draw you in.

I really like both of them.

Since I don't do graphics, I can't really comment on the difficulty of what they did (although I assume Keith's shows more technical merit), but if you are looking at them as an advertisement that McDonalds might use, I'd go for Aaron's. Though it maybe shouldn't be, the construction site idea does kinda make it look like what some of the others have said, as if suggesting it was made out of the crap that was lying around the construction site, even though the advert doesn't explicitly suggest that....it is just how people may read it.

Technical merit goes to Keith, as an advert goes to Aaron.

I'll be really interested to see who won.

The irony is the construction site is on separate layer (The vehicles are all from individual stocks) and I could switch it out at any time with no fuss, I just didn't know where else heavy machinery would congregate :(

Before we begin the judging, I'd like to congratulate the both of you. This was one hell of a battle, and certainly befitting of the finals for your wing. The both of you were able to step it up for this one, and you definitely made your wing proud. Congratulations to the both of you, and good luck! This round, I think I'll put my votes first... considering they were done first, for once!

MY JUDGING

KEITH

-------------

Pros: Brilliant idea here Keith, and I love the execution. Just because the meal is at a construction site shouldn't bring a foul taste to people's mouths-- I don't believe it would anyway-- and it gives that feeling of "We work hard to bring you the best" to the viewer. My favorite by far, however, was that hamburger/helicopter combo you've made in the sky. Very clever there! All in all, this comes off as an excellent advertisement to me.

Cons: As said, McDonalds is a Coca-Cola brand company, making that Pepsi can completely out of place. I know you wouldn't know that, but it does pay from time to time to research your piece. Plus, rarely do you find a McDonalds who serves drinks in cans, and not their traditional McDonalds cups.

AARON MAIDEN

-------------

Pros: Simple, yet very effective. I love the execution of this... really pulls off the size of the burger very well. Loving the font used for this one too, it's very McDonalds-esque. Nice cutting around the buildings with the burger as well, only a few faults I can see with that. This whole thing just SCREAMS McDonalds at me-- a simple work with a gret turnout.

Cons: The shadows on the burger from the buildings... they just look fake, you know? I like how you stopped the shadow on the burger and didn't have it carry out into the sky... shows you thought that one through, but to be honest the shadows themselves just kind-of look tacky there on the burger.

This is where I had to make my decision though, which came off as the more professional work? Keith's had more effort it seemed, but Aaron's had an equally near-seemless execution with a McDonalds feel to it. In the end, I went with the one which fit the rules the best, the one that, in my opinion, McDonalds would lean most towards.

Aaron Maiden gets my vote.

ALLDAWSON'S JUDGING

Keith vs Aaron Maiden

Keith:

Pros: Very good cutting and manipulation. Great placement, including that of the text and logo. Love the 'I'd Hit It' part.

Cons: A building site isn't exactly the best backdrop to advertise a meal.

--

Aaron Maiden:

Pros: Great idea, very good cutting. Placement of the burger, text and logo is good.

Cons: Not particularly eye-catching, the colours are a bit drab.

--

Result: I like both entries, they're both imaginative and have both been pulled off very well. Aaron's strikes me as more of a realistic advertising poster, but Keith's has more graphical effort and is more eye-catching, it stands out more and attracts your attention. Both very good but Keith edges it for me.

WILDCAT'S JUDGING

Keith Clark

PROS: This is very innovative and I love the placement of the fries. I also love the slogan at the bottom as well.

CONS: While I love the slogan its a bit crowded and the three parts of it aren't placed extremely well. The whole piece in general is just a bit overcrowded and looks more like a television stillshot than an advertisment that is placed on the wall.

Aaron Maiden

PROS: Aesthetically it looks excellent, something I could definately see being a poster on the subway or something like that. I like the placement and the font looks really nice though.

CONS: Graphically its pretty good but its a bit easy. The buildings in front of the bigmac look fuzzy around the edge and they aren't fuzzy in the source photo so its something you did while erasing the burger.

Judgement: This is a most difficult decision. Both are excellent and both show alot of talent but the decision comes down to wether the biggest part of what I should be looking for is on the aesthetic side or in the graphical side of the spectrum. And while its supposed to be made for a fictional client this is after all a graphics competition so I guess I will have to go with Graphics over Aesthetics. My choice is Keith Clark.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Keith... what can I say, you did another stellar job here man. The construction site idea was, in my mind, a great one which was able to convey a hard work ethic for McDonalds employees ("We work just as hard as your local construction crews!" despite it being an absolute fallacy, it's something McDonalds would probably do). The pepsi can was really all that detracted from the professionalism of the image.

Aaron, I'm very proud of you. Last round you fell horribly short, but this round you stepped it up in a huge way, and here's why: you kept things simple yet pulled it off to near-perfection. The shadows are the only thing I can find wrong with your image, everything else just seems so much like a McDonalds advertisement that it's kind-of uncanny.

Thank the BOTH of you for participating, you both did excellent jobs. Keith, good luck in the finals... and Aaron, come back next time around. This was a great round, and I'm sure we'll have an even greater Grande Finale on the way.