Classical Music

Jook

I'm getting more and more into classical music... but I was just wondering where to start...

I like big numbers like Carl Orff and stuff like that... I have poncy stuff like Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Any reccomendations?

Hungarian Rhapsody by Liszt is a nice chirpy piece, you might remember it from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Daffy and Donald were playing it on the pianos on stage when we see Jessica Rabbit first :P

Also, Ride of the Valkerye by Wagner is a good piece.

My personal favourite is Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. If you like the more melancholy ones that is.

One of my favourite classical pieces are Danse Macabre, which is just a beautiful piece of music, which you'll probably recognise as the theme tune from Jonathan Creek >_>

Also, Olivier Messaien's Turangalila Symphony is sublime.

If you can track it down, Ofiarom Hiroszimy-Tren by Krysztof Penderecki is well worth a listen, it's an awe-inspiring, scary piece of music. It was sampled by the Manic Street Preachers in "You Love Us", but that doesn't do the full piece justice at all. Fairly difficult to track down, but well worth it.

Carl Orff is king.

You could try out Handel's Zarabanda, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and Air from Orchestral Suite no. 3 in D Major.

Also, I really liked Myleen Klass's album as it brought a modern twist to classical music....She's a fantastic pianist.