The End of E3?

Benji

Apparently it's been discovered that E3 is destined to come to an end, this last years E3 being that last one due to companies withdrawing. In other words, our favorite Big Wig Video Game Companies have started pulling out of E3, deciding that marketing purely with their own company would be more efficient and cost effective. Without the support of the big boys for software and hardware manufacturing, there would be no point in continuing the event.

I, personally am very sad about this happening, I was hoping to go to E3 this next year.

Source: Next Generation

While it's not been confirmed by a major gaming news outlet, I wouldn't be surprised, it's been rumoured for a few years now. Still, here's to hoping it's not true, it's nice to have a yearly outlet to see what we'll be getting rather than having to scour different news sites every fucking day.

Can't say I'm all that surprised...I mean, all you hear about at E3 is the top-name developers, the "best" next-gen games and the release date/price on the newest system (both of which usually change afterwards for some reason or another).

I mean, it's nice to have it all in one spot, but with release dates changing on a regular basis for the games and consoles hyped at E3, it just doesn't make much sense to have one big bash in May to hype all your games and systems only to change the release on people later on.

But E3 at least gives people a time frame for fanatic gamers to look forward to, although release dates being knocked back often discourages gamers to buy the game when it comes out, this is a predictable form of loss for the company (loss in customers, not in finances)

This is what I read about it...

E3 Cancelled?

The world's largest videogame convention may be no more.

by IGN Staff

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it.

Guest t3h_G0dZ

Apparently it's been discovered that E3 is destined to come to an end, this last years E3 being that last one due to companies withdrawing. In other words, our favorite Big Wig Video Game Companies have started pulling out of E3, deciding that marketing purely with their own company would be more efficient and cost effective. Without the support of the big boys for software and hardware manufacturing, there would be no point in continuing the event.

I, personally am very sad about this happening, I was hoping to go to E3 this next year.

Source: Next Generation

While it's not been confirmed by a major gaming news outlet, I wouldn't be surprised, it's been rumoured for a few years now. Still, here's to hoping it's not true, it's nice to have a yearly outlet to see what we'll be getting rather than having to scour different news sites every fucking day.