2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Right, so as mentioned in the other thread, this was up by now last season. Personally I'm hoping for good things from the Habs this year, but they don't seem to have improved their roster in any way. Boullion is out for the first month of the season with a knee injury, but we have guys like Chipchura, Latendresse and Price comming up from our farm system.

Personally I'm predicting a 6th place finish and eliminated in the second round for the Habs, with the Leafs falling even further out of the Playoffs and the Sens taking it all.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping that the Blue Jackets can pick up where they left off at the end of last season. They were starting to put together some wins but at that point it was to late since the begininng of the last season they were without Nash which seemed to be pretty big when he came back. Hopefully Nash can actually stay health this year and maybe the Blue Jackets will be able to get into the Playoffs for the first time in Frachise history. A year older for some of the younger guys should help them develop into a better team, I am looking forward to the new season.

Basha, I have to dissagree with your opinion of my beloved Maple Leafs. There is no doubt that we have greatly improved our defence by dropping Berg and Richardson and Khavanov, replacing them with Pavel Kubina and Hal Gill. A healthy year from Carlo Coliacovo and a good showing from Ian White, Jay Harrison, Kronwall or Wozniewski would solidify the last two defence spots.

In goal, Andrew Raycroft is a bit of a question mark as he was horrible last year in Boston. But this year he will have an improved defence in front of him and he will be healthy, which he was not last year. He is without a doubt an upgrade from Ed Belfour and if he can return to rookie form, then the Maple Leafs will have a Vezina contender.

Now, our forward lines are our only worrying spot. We have some decent prospects coming up, and with Micheal Peca on the team we finally have a line capable of shutting down the oppositions top line. Alexander Steen and Kyle Wellwood had good rookie years and are in positions to get some good ice time, especially Steen. Jeff O'Neill can only improve on what was a dissapointing season last year, and Mats Sundin looked amazing after the Olympic break and will be looking to continue that trend.

If the Leafs can play as well as they did last season on the powerplay, and improve even slightly even strength, then they will make the playoffs. Last season was the best for me as a Leafs fan despite missing the playoffs. The battle for the last spot was so exciting, and we only missed it by two points and only missed Montreal by three.

I see Toronto finishing around 6th this season. I have no idea what to think about the Canadiens this year. Micheal Ryder is going to score thirty goals, Saku Koivu and Kovalev are good for 60 points. I think you guys have a solid top four in defence, and your goaltending is good whether it is Huet or Aebischer in goal. Samsonov needs to become the top goal scorer he should be. I see Montreal finished in the spot above or below Toronto, I think both teams are even. I hate the Northeast Division, it being so competitive. Don't be surprised to see all 5 teams from the division make the playoffs.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. Ottawa

2. Carolina

3. Philadelphia

4. Buffalo

5. Toronto

6. Montreal

7. New Jersey

8. Boston

----------

9. Tampa Bay

10. Pittsburgh

11. Atlanta

12. NY Rangers

13. NY Islanders

14. Florida

15. Washington

Green Demon, if Nash stays healthy and Federov can stay of the coke, then the Jackets will improve. They are my favorite team in the Western Conference.

Oh, and how can someone predict Ottawa winning the Cup? After they were supposed to be there in 2003/04 and in 2005/06 and missed both times, I have a hard time putting money on them in the playoffs.

Edited by desiredtoe

Yeah I'll be honest, I'll grudgingly accept that the Leafs will field a far more competitive team than last season, the only really big thing that will be the variable as to if the Leafs sink or swim will be Raycroft, a calibre of season like his rookie year or better I see a top 6 finish, a season like last year, I see 8 through 12.

Well, I see everything after Montreal as a toss up. Montreal could slip to 8th, but I know they will make the playoffs. But it's a toss up for the last two spots. I only see the Islanders, Florida and Washington being out of the playoff race early. I am also having some doubts over whether Buffalo will be anywhere near as good as last year, so they could be all over the place.

I can't believe how long my post is up there, though.

JP Dumont signed with the Nashville Predators. Now the Predators have a lot of speed and plenty of goal scorers in a system built almost purely for offence. I would not be surprised if they did well this year.

I would have liked to see Dumont in Toronto to be on Sundin's wing, but I knew we were pretty high to the cap as is. Stajan has yet to sign...

Where can I see how much cap room a team has? I know the Leafs could not field an offer due to their still unsigned players and low cap room. But I was rather pissed off that Gainey and Co. failed to secure the player. Hell he even said that it was his dream to play for the Habs.

JP Dumont signed with the Nashville Predators. Now the Predators have a lot of speed and plenty of goal scorers in a system built almost purely for offence. I would not be surprised if they did well this year.

I would have liked to see Dumont in Toronto to be on Sundin's wing, but I knew we were pretty high to the cap as is. Stajan has yet to sign...

Guest puremadness45

Right, so as mentioned in the other thread, this was up by now last season. Personally I'm hoping for good things from the Habs this year, but they don't seem to have improved their roster in any way. Boullion is out for the first month of the season with a knee injury, but we have guys like Chipchura, Latendresse and Price comming up from our farm system.

Personally I'm predicting a 6th place finish and eliminated in the second round for the Habs, with the Leafs falling even further out of the Playoffs and the Sens taking it all.

Guest puremadness45

Bwahahahahahahaha Riberio better then Dumont!? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Put Higgins as the center of Samsonov and Koivu and Dumont on the first line and you would have had one of the best 1-2 punch lines in the league this year.