2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, since you put it that way, ditching Dan Cloutier for Roberto Luongo really isn't much of an upgrade afterall. I don't know what I was thinking.

The Canucks still have a good defense, with World Championship/Olympic defenders in Mattias Ohlund (SWE), Sami Salo (FIN), and new arrival Lucas Krajicek (CZE). While no one is arguing that the Czech defense is as deep as Team Canada's, or that losing Ed Jovanovski doesn't hurt, Mattias Ohlund is still a stud, and Luc Bourdon was impressive at the Memorial Cup and is ready for the NHL. Even in it's depleted state, the Canucks defense is still better then last years Florida line and the offense is still miles ahead. If the Canucks can find someone who clicks with the Sedins (Matt Cooke maybe) and someone to fill in for Toddbert, the playoffs are a possibility. The effect Luongo will have will be measurable, make no mistake. There is a reason he is Team Canada material. This guy is the real deal.

The Canucks still have a good defense, with World Championship/Olympic defenders in Mattias Ohlund (SWE), Sami Salo (FIN), and new arrival Lucas Krajicek (CZE). While no one is arguing that the Czech defense is as deep as Team Canada's, or that losing Ed Jovanovski doesn't hurt, Mattias Ohlund is still a stud, and Luc Bourdon was impressive at the Memorial Cup and is ready for the NHL. Even in it's depleted state, the Canucks defense is still better then last years Florida line and the offense is still miles ahead. If the Canucks can find someone who clicks with the Sedins (Matt Cooke maybe) and someone to fill in for Toddbert, the playoffs are a possibility. The effect Luongo will have will be measurable, make no mistake. There is a reason he is Team Canada material. This guy is the real deal.

I'm tired of repeating myself already. This is going to be a long season.

In other news, Party on Wang, Party on Garth.

Alexander Ovechkin said that responsibilities as an NHL captain include taking his team out, do lots of shots of vodka, on off days, call up the playboy mansion and have a big party, because players need to relax.

Thus, I propose we all try out for the Washington Capitals.

And, watching the Top Ten Moments on OTR, I am struggling with whether Roenick's "Hero" is better then his "Dancing Queen", because "Dancing Queen" was really, really off the wall.

Alexander Ovechkin said that responsibilities as an NHL captain include taking his team out, do lots of shots of vodka, on off days, call up the playboy mansion and have a big party, because players need to relax.

And, watching the Top Ten Moments on OTR, I am struggling with whether Roenick's "Hero" is better then his "Dancing Queen", because "Dancing Queen" was really, really off the wall.

Well, I'm a little late getting here. But here goes ...

EAST CONFERENCE

1. Ottawa

2. Carolina

3. New Jersey

4. New York R.

5. Philadelphia

6. Montreal

7. Buffalo

8. Boston

9. Tampa Bay

10. Toronto

11. Florida

12. Atlanta

13. Pittsburgh

14. New York I.

15. Washington

Goaltending question is out of Ottawa, for the regular season at least. They lost Chara but should still be good enough to take first place. Buffalo will still hold onto a playoff position but will not contend for the championship. The Rangers have a much better chance this year than last; in fact, I would not be surprised to see them take the division and go farther into the playoffs. But, I am still picking Jersey for that pool. I think Tampa is a better team this year (Marc Denis is a good goalie) but I believe they will not make the playoffs as everyone around them got better too. I don't think the Leafs will make it for a second straight year, mainly due to goaltending.

WEST CONFERENCE

1. Detroit

2. Anaheim

3. Calgary

4. Dallas

5. Nashville

6. San Jose

7. Colorado

8. Columbus

9. Vancouver

10. Edmonton

11. Phoenix

12. St. Louis

13. Los Angeles

14. Minnesota

15. Chicago

Detroit wins the conference because of their division. Anaheim wins the Pacific due to their defence, but if Bryzgalov is their goalie I don't see them going far in the playoffs. I trust Giguere over him. Dallas won't do much of anything in thte playoffs. Nashville should go far. St. Louis upgrades but does not improve their playoff status.

Personally, I'm hoping Phoenix makes the playoffs (they are my team). I have a lot of hope as I think teams 7 - 11 are interchangeable in both conferences.

I think if a non-contending team picks up Martin Biron from Buffalo they will instantly have a chance. I really hope the Coyotes make an offer as he would be an awesome guy to have to take over Joseph next year, or this year if Joseph doesn't do a second miraculous season.

Long story short, I can't wait for October 4 / 5!

EAST

1- Ottawa

2- New York Rangers

3- Carolina

4- New Jersey

5- Buffalo

6- Philadelphia

7- Toronto

8- Tampa Bay

9- Montreal

10- Florida

11- New York Islanders

12- Boston

13- Atlanta

14- Pittsburgh

15- Washington

WEST

1- Detroit

2- Anaheim

3- Calgary

4- Dallas

5- Nashville

6- Vancouver

7- Colorado

8- Edmonton

9- San Jose

10- Columbus

11- Chicago

12- Minnesota

13- Los Angeles

14- Phoenix

15- St. Louis

Yeah, you've forfeited your right to have an opinion by having Minnesota - a vastly improved team now Demitra's in town - below St. Louis and Edmonton miss the playoffs, and Columbus being eighth. I don't care how retardedly good Brule may be, three players do not a team make and they will get raped in the lower lines, and the Leafs won't make it with Raycroft, whereas Leclaire is so much more consistent and good and everything in Ohio that he didn't start with Denis in town. Further, Philly may not even be solid enough to make the playoffs, and I can't see NYR doing so much better than last time around.

If you guys are drafting fantasy teams and need youth players, look for Anze Kopitar in a late round. He's not a household name so he's not on most people's radar, but trust me, he's going to rip it up in the West Coast Offense he's walking into. Barring injury, look for him to possibly even get Calder talk.

I haven't spoken to my father for 2 days now. He renounced his allegiance(sp?) to the Habs.

EDIT: Also, good move on the Habs organization by not going through with the press conference to announce that they will retire the numbers of Serge Savard and Ken Dryden this season on account of the school shooting as they were both on the same day.

Edited by Basha