Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

FSU d. UCLA in probably the actual bowl season kick-off game. These were two solid teams that could have done better and it was a good game until the 4th Quarter. Conference-USA Officials need to never do an FSU game again though as they were bad for both teams, but in the end both teams had their chances and FSU won. It figures now Bowden would make some decent calls, although the running game worked tonight, and Weatherford still sucked. A lot of those passes The Smurfs could have deflected they were so low.

44-27 (Unless they score in these two minutes of clock drainage time)

Since Jeff Bowden is out of FSU now, I will say he'd be a solid coach for a team that is built around power football. His style of coaching and play calling fits in that system, just make sure you have a good QB Coach, because he can not coach that position at all.

It hasn't been announced, but it seems to be that he'll take over.

Wow, the mighty sons of Westwood can't even topple the worst FSU team in 20 years. DMN, you must be proud. Of course, what do you expect when your head coach is happy with THREE quarters of effort ? And I quote "When you look at the score the next day, I'm sure people are going to say, 'Wow, what happened?" UCLA coach Karl Dorrell said. "But it was a lot different game than the score indicated. We played three pretty good quarters, so from an effort standpoint, I don't have any questions we're heading in the right direction." THREE quarters is heading in the right direction ? Jesus Karl ..... you SUCK ! No wonder UCLA has fallen off the map.

Of course, "21 points in the fourth quarter against the collapsing Bruins" has been the story of Bruin football for like 10 years no hasn't it ?

on a side note, Texas is King in football. So says ESPN Texas Football Owns You

I'd put Cali, Ohio, and Florida above them.... and this is from my experience of watching the Ohio vs. USA match-ups. Texas is 1-1, with their one win coming against a terrible Ohio team (Loss was to a good team who didn't make it past regionals). Florida is 1-0 (Against one of our better teams), Cali 1-0 (I actuallly forget who they played).

*realised it's all football*

Ohio's pro teams drag them down, with just a couple Super Bowl wins they'd be top three. But yeah, Texas HS I'd rank them 4th, until they have better showings.

I didn't know much about his history (Jimbo) so I checked it out, strong Bowden ties.

Fisher attended Liberty High School before going to Salem College (now Salem International University) in Salem, West Virginia where he played quarterback under head coach Terry Bowden from 1985-1986. When Bowden left for Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, Fisher transferred with him to play his final season for the Bulldogs where he was named Division III National Player of the Year.

He then rejoined Bowden at Samford as a graduate assistant coach working with quarterbacks from 1988-1990 and was subsequently hired as the fulltime offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. After two seasons, Fisher moved with Bowden to Auburn University where he coached quarterbacks alongside offensive coordinator Tommy Bowden. While at Auburn, Fisher coached several successful quarterbacks including Patrick Nix

Fisher continued at Auburn until the hiring of current Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville in the wake of Bowden's 1998 mid-season resignation. He then coached quarterbacks for one season at Cincinnati before joining Nick Saban's new staff at LSU in 2000.

Edited by ACCBiggz

I'd reserve ranking Tex HS football until the TOP teams from Texas actually play. Southlake. La Marque .... those guys. I love the concept by the way ... freakin awesome.

OH's win was against a defending state champ ....... that only went 4-6 on the year. Not a great indicator, as Texarkana's win isn't either.

DMN and I have talked about HS Football a lot, and it's just hard to rank anyone. The depth of teams in all these states is just impossible, that is why Ohio v. USA is somewhat telling just because you are playing the teams from other states, and yes it is a great concept. There may be a team in Montana that is the nation's best, but you'd never know... the USA Today's HS Rankings are BS too...

Yeah, I currently get USA Today ..... it's not as bad as it sounds, but it isn't in any way a true indication of the top 25 teams in the nation. There would be the obvious ones such as De La Salle/Lakeland/Southlake ...... but honestly outside of that it's pretty much crap shoot.

Well, Bama almost pulled a win out of the hat... almost. It's like the story of Shula's life. Almost.

Anywho, I quite enjoyed the chaos in the final kickoff return.

What was better than the timeouts was his reaction each time. He enjoyed it.

Oh, and his mini-interview after the first half was amazing. It seemed like he wanted to eat the interviewer's head.

I dunno if anybody else is watching the Kentucky/Clemson game, but its been pretty fun. Fake punts, turnovers and long touchdowns. I really should catch more bowl games.