Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

I think Boise St. should stay in the WAC. The Mountain West is slightly better overall, and especially at the bottom, but Colorado St. has fallen off a bit since they're 'glory' days in the 90s, BYU is down from their historical peak, and TCU is damn good.

To counter, the WAC has Fresno St. and Boise St., who can play with damn near anyone on any given Saturday, and Hawai'i, who can give people fits too. They're hurt by having San Jose St, Idaho, Utah St., and New Mexico St. though.

Edited by Number Twenty Five.

I think Boise St. should stay in the WAC. The Mountain West is slightly better overall, and especially at the bottom, but Colorado St. has fallen off a bit since they're 'glory' days in the 90s, BYU is down from their historical peak, and TCU is damn good.

To counter, the WAC has Fresno St. and Boise St., who can play with damn near anyone on any given Saturday, and Hawai'i, who can give people fits too. They're hurt by having San Jose St, Idaho, Utah St., and New Mexico St. though.

While I absolutely love Fresno and Boise, they're so sheltered in the WAC it's ridiculous. Sure, I love seeing them destroy a 'high profile' every year, but I doubt they could play a full 'BCS conference' schedule. Because of the everyday competition they face, it's easy for them to 'step up' once a year, but at their current state I doubt they could do an 11-14 game season at that level.

That's why I want to see Fresno in the Pac, and Boise in the MW. It would kick ass. Hell, I don't see how the Pac wouldn't want Fresno in. They'd get some of that coveted 'cred' they seek. Besides, BSU and FreSU won't ever be considered real deal as long as they are in the WAC.

Bingo. The WAC is real top heavy, with Nevada, Fresno & Boise being pretty good programs, while some of them are just horrible (See: Idaho).

Still, it's better than the MAC where the parity is so strong it's hurting them as nobody can pull far enough ahead to get a high ranking. They seem to be on a downswiing since Marshall left. The year Ben was at Miami they were a very hot conference... not so much anymore. At the very least it seems like every year a solid QB comes out fo their, and they have produced a good group of NFL starters too (Pennington, Leftwich, Big Ben, Frye, ect...)

As for the Mountain West, I think it's a tad overrated (Although Utah & TCU could easily be in BCS conferences) but if there was a combination with the top WAC school's, they could easily rival the Big East, and in a few years be right up there with the Big Ten's & SEC's.

The problem with Fresno State joining the Pac 10 is that there's no one to really come in with them. Boise probably couldn't compete at that level, as they don't have the recruiting base, even compared to the Oregon schools, to compete year in and year out.

Whenever the idea of expanding the Pac 10 comes up, the same schools get brought up, Fresno St., Boise St., BYU, Hawai'i... only Fresno would really work out, IMO.

Exactly, if you're going to expand the Pac 10, you would need two teams. You could theoretically add Fresno St. and Boise St., and I think there was talks of adding the Colorado schools a few years ago, (Or maybe it was Colorado St. and BYU), but like it's already been said, Fresno and Boise, while good schools, wouldn't make it through a BCS school's schedule. That was the big topic of debate during the Fresno St./Nevada game, Fresno schedules tough games, like they're playing LSU, certainly they have a chance to win, but it's slim. They were asking should Fresno schedule the tough games against big BCS schools, or just focus to win the conference each year with their easy-peasy WAC schedule. Plus I just like a 10 team conference more than 12.

But with that said, my Wolfpack are playing against Northwestern tomorrow night, should be a good game, and should be a win.

Edit: And if Northwestern were playing anybody else, I would totally be rooting for them, that's just a great story with the head coach situation, and I wish Pat Fitzgerald all the luck in the world.

Edited by crazedfan

I think Fresno could compete in the Pac 10, eventually. They're better than Stanford, and arguably Washington, Oregon State, and Arizona as well, at least this year. They wouldn't come in and win the conference, but I could see them contend for a bowl. It'd take a few years, but they'd get even better recruits than they already do, and with Pat Hill at the helm, I could see them challenging for the Pac 10 crown within a decade, maybe less.

Exactly^

I'd say Utah would make a greta additon. It's a big school, has been routinely top level the last few years... it's not like these Mid-Majors can't compete. Louisville was near the top fo the Big East the year after moving up from the C-USA. These things take time, but eventually the school's would get good enough to be threats. Frankly, I think Fresno would have a winning record this year, and certainly with some past teams.

Apparently the instant replay official from the Oklahoma\Oregon game is taking a leave of absence for the rest of the season. Smart man.

Did I mention the main reason why I'm glad Oklahama got screwed? Its called karma: Oklahoma being in the BCS Championship game a couple years back proved that the BCS system is flawed. As much as I dislike them, the Auburn Tigers should have been in that game instead of the Sooners. Auburn played tougher opponents than Oklahoma did that year.

I seriously think that the SEC gets no respect, despite being one of the most successful conferences.

The things I hate most about college football? The lack of a championship system that stops teams from having to share the championship (something the BCS was supposed to fix), teams going to a bowl they don't deserve to be in instead of a team that does due to location (ie, Florida going to the Orange Bowl when Tennessee beat them and had a better record but Florida going due to it being their home state), and the Heisman Trophy. The Heisman Trophy has been a joke for so long that its pitiful; I seriously think its voted on based on popularity or how the winner performs in one televised game (the only way I can explain Charles Woodson winning it over Peyton Manning - and if anyone is a Michigan fan, don't bother trying to justify it, because I'll call bullshit!) instead of talent more often than not. Which explains why most of the recent past winners have either been NFL washouts or not done much of anything worth noting while in the NFL.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

The NFL career of someone is in NO WAY an indication of whether or not their winning the Heisman is justifiable. The Heisman is about being the best playern in COLLEGE for THAT PARTICULAR YEAR.

are you saying that Andre Ware didn't deserve it because he ate ass in the pros ?

Danny Wuerfful ?

Crouch ?

Wienke ?

Jason White ?

Salaam ?

Toretta ?

Charlie Ward ?

I guess they are all reasons that the Heisman is a joke then right ?

Absolutely not. The Heisman is there to recognize the collegiate success of the football player, not predict his pro career. It's a crapshoot as to whether or not someone will make a good pro, Heisman winner or not.

Hell, I loved seeing Woodson win it because he was an ATHLETE, not just a position player. Sure, there's debate too it and all that jazz, but just because somone won the Heisman and then didn't pan out, that doesn't mean that the Heisman is a joke or that they didn't deserve it.

Man, on a random point, I love Louisville being badass. THEY'RE NOT EVEN GOING FOR A FIELD GOAL ON FOURTH DOWN EVEN IF THEY FAILED. That is badass.

EDIT: And wow is Wisconsin fucking up their chance to upset Michigan right now...

Edited by Number Twenty Five.

JoePa left the field in the 2nd Quarter to use the restroom... apprently battling some flu.

on the Heisman thing, it is a bit of a joke because they really don't take every position into account. Woodson did deserve it more than Manning during that year. But during some of these years the best players may be lineman, and not QB's and HB's.

Yeha, JoePa left again, back in the lockerroom. Not feeling well at all with the flu. He has a capable staff, but I'm sure more f'n PSU moron will say something about JoePa. JoePa probably had something in place with the assistants going into the game in case something went terribly wrong, and you really can not blame him if he is hunched over a toilet right now throwing up a kidney.