Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One

Guest Ringmaster

I didn't like this episode compared to the previous ones. The hum-drum story of Matt's parents advanced his character, but just didn't interest me at all. Seemed very cliched to me, and the sappy piano overtones at the end killed any sense of reality for me.

Likewise, the improv storyline was a little forced. The guy playing the 'stereotypical' comedian was very good, but the writing for his bit was another example of the by-the-numbers comedy that's hit the programme so far.

I don't think I've ever seen Amanda Peet in anything before, but I'm compulsively attracted to her. I thought she did well in another sitcom-ish storyline. Still, I can't take my eyes off her so that's inevitable :D

Edited by The Judge

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 8 p.m., NBC and Deal or No Deal won a 4.4 in 18 to 49s, with CBS earning a combined 3.3 for How I Met Your Mother at a 3.6 and The Class at 2.9. Fox and Prison Break ran away with a 3.2, ABC's Wife Swap blissed a 2.8, and the CW earned a 1.2 for Everybody Hates Chris and All of Us.

At 9 p.m., Heroes soared to its 6.2, followed by CBS with a combined 4.3 for Two and a Half Men at 4.7 and The New Adventures of Old Christine at 3.9. The Bachelor romanced a 3.2 on ABC, and Fox earned a 2.0 for delivering Justice. The CW scored a combined 1.2 for Girlfriends and The Game.

In the 10 p.m. slot, CBS's CSI: Miami and David Caruso took over with a 5.9, followed by NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip at 3.2--a slight uptick from last week's 3.1. ABC asked What About Brian and received a 2.7 answer.

Not huge, but any upward trend for this show is good news. Now keep going.

At 8 p.m., NBC and Deal or No Deal won a 4.4 in 18 to 49s, with CBS earning a combined 3.3 for How I Met Your Mother at a 3.6 and The Class at 2.9. Fox and Prison Break ran away with a 3.2, ABC's Wife Swap blissed a 2.8, and the CW earned a 1.2 for Everybody Hates Chris and All of Us.

At 9 p.m., Heroes soared to its 6.2, followed by CBS with a combined 4.3 for Two and a Half Men at 4.7 and The New Adventures of Old Christine at 3.9. The Bachelor romanced a 3.2 on ABC, and Fox earned a 2.0 for delivering Justice. The CW scored a combined 1.2 for Girlfriends and The Game.

In the 10 p.m. slot, CBS's CSI: Miami and David Caruso took over with a 5.9, followed by NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip at 3.2--a slight uptick from last week's 3.1. ABC asked What About Brian and received a 2.7 answer.

Not huge, but any upward trend for this show is good news. Now keep going.

Oh thank god. Finally some good news, ratingswise.

And I happened to love last night's episode. The payoff to the Eli Wallach subplot was very nice, I liked the subplot with Simon because even if it was predictable the moment you heard the second stand-up comedian doing his set, it was still effective and D.L. Hughley plays his character perfectly.

Gotta agree with GoGo. I loved this week's show. No, it wasn't laugh out loud funny, and no it wasn't the best yet, but it was very very good. It allowed us to see inside the head of a number of the other characters, and I for one loved to see that.

Oh and judge, it was Tom's parents, not Matt's.

Finally, the three ditzes were hilarious.

"So when you say you write the show, what do you mean?"

When this show gets cancelled after 13 episodes, just remember its the fault of all you Americans, because apparently Canadians watch it in droves.

Another great episode, there hasn't been a bad one yet. Peet was greatness in her small role today. A little preachy from Sorkin this time, but not so much so that it hurt anything.

Guest The Bleeding Heart Show of Ringy

When this show gets cancelled after 13 episodes, just remember its the fault of all you Americans, because apparently Canadians watch it in droves.

It's not just timeslot, because the rest of the week draws dogshit for CBC yet Mercer draws 800-900,000, which is the equivalent to 8-9 million in the States. And Global is kinda meh outside of House and Survivor, which are HUGE. Studio 60 is just a really high brow sort of show, and I think of you look at the history of the CBC and some of the other legacy leaving shows in Canada (The Newsroom, Made In Canada, Corner Gas), they're really smart and artistically inclined.

Sarah Paulson > *

I love every scene she is in. Funny, when I first saw her in Deadwood I didn't think she was anything special but on Studio 60 I can't imagine anyone else making that character as likable as she does.

The reports of Studio 60's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Studio 60 lives. Yesterday, rumors swirled that NBC's expensive drama Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was headed for the scrap heap. Despite the fact that NBC had ordered three more episodes of the show, cast members were reportedly telling friends the show was near its end.

Now, NBC has refuted that story, saying the show is still profitable and that the network will give it at least a little while longer. Media Daily News says NBC is frustrated by the decline of Studio 60's ratings, but that the show brings in affluent viewers that advertisers care about. Therefore, the 7.7 million viewers the show earned last week is OK--for now.

Studio 60 is the brainchild of Aaron Sorkin, creator of West Wing. The show tells the story of a Saturday Night Live-type late-night sketch comedy show. The premiere was solid, with 12 million viewers, but the show has slipped in successive weeks. Last night, NBC ran an episode of Friday Night Lights in Studio 60's time slot, and Lights scored more viewers than Studio.

Despite network assurances, if Studio 60 continues to slip, it may face cancellation. NBC quickly wrapped production on Kidnapped after it produced lower-than-expected results for the network.

source TV.com

Last night was good, but nothing really happened because it's a two part episode. My roommate was bitching about it last night too and I'm like well, it's a two part episode for a reason, so they're really just building it up for next week. It was good for what it was, but was it outstanding? No, but it did it's job in setting up next week, just it was at a slow pace.