The Strokes

Guest MuRd0K

I really like The Strokes. They've got two good albums (I don't know which I prefer, probably the first) and to a Strokes fan the songs don't really sound the same at all. Though I could understand how somebody could think that, they certainly do have a style and sound they like to stick to, and why not? It seems to work pretty well.

I literally cant speak highly enough of the Strokes. From the first NME cover in 2001 (or was it late 2000? I was in college at the time, someone confirm) they've had so much hype it was near impossible to live up to it, but I reckon they've done a good job.

The first time I heard them was by sheer coincidence. I live in a smallish town, and the only place to buy CD's is Woolworths, which is awful as they only get 5 new CD's a week, and its always Busted etc. So all CD's in Billingham come from Middlesbrough basically. My cousin rang me while I was out shopping one day and asked me to buy Hard To Explain (still my favourite song) for him. I'd never heard it and listened to it on the way to college the next day to hand it over. I was hooked. Last Nite came out to massive response and the album was a shock to everyone who thought they'd be one hit wonders.

Somehow one of my mates managed to get us tickets to the rescheduled Leeds gig of their 2001 tour. It was moved to March 2002, at which point Strokes-mania was at a high, and loads of people were turned away with fake tickets. It was possibly the best gig I've been to, the Libertines were first support band (first time I'd even heard of them, superb as usual). The balcony above the main area of the Uni was crammed full of press on the left, and on the right were the Strokes nodding away to the uber-good Libertines, who at that stage sounded very similar to the Strokes themselves. Also present Jack and Meg White. Second support band Stereo Total were a crappy french crazy two piece. Strokes come on, I fly back a good 20ft from where I was standing near the front, class gig, leave drenched in sweat (not good in Leeds in March, ice cold when got back ont bus). Next day cant hear a thing until I go see Mull Historical Society on the night, which just pierces the fuzz in my ears.

Saw them at the Leeds festival that year, outside, headlining, pissing down with rain. Again, absolutely top-notch. A few new songs played that everyone already knew.

I think they're always gonna do better over in the UK than America just because their style is so far from what the US perceives 'rock' to be nowadays, whereas they can slot nicely into the super-diverse indie scene in the UK. Lumping them in with the Hives and others who sprung up around the time is unfair, their sound is completely different, and their influences are a long way from those of the Vines. Its similar to the 'Oasis are just the Beatles' claims of the mid 90's, they'll go beyond that if the third album is any good.

In conclusion, the Strokes are good.

I don't enjoy the Strokes. Bands like them have come a dime a dozen with this whole garage revival. Personally, none of these bands have shown me that they deserve this kind of success. I suggest everybody check out the Mummies, for some truely great B-Horror movie garage rock.