The Strokes

Guest MuRd0K

Guest MuRd0K

Bleh, I like EWB's opinion on bands, but I have yet to see a comment about the Strokes anywhere?

What are your thoughts on them? Frankly, I love them, their concert was a kickass (I almost lost one of my converse, but meh). I haven't heard a song I dislike on them, and Reptilia really solified their #3 spot on my Top 3.

Julian Casablanca, while being stoned most of the time, is a really good voice.

Nick Valensi may not be the best guitarist, and far from it, but he really know what is doing, same for Albert Hammond, Nikolai and Fab.

If it doesn't ring a bell, try "Last Nite", "Someday", and "12:51".

pos02-strokes.jpg

Your thoughts?

i don't know much of them, except they (along with The Vines and The Hives *who i haven't heard of in a while*) were supposed to save Rock music according to MTV. I liked "Last Nite" it was catchy.

I don't like them. Then again - I don't like any of these shite "rock-n-roll revival" bands IE The Strokes, White Stripes, etc.

If I wanted to listen to rock, I've got plenty of better classic CDs I could put on.

The band's fine, but they're by no means a musical revolution. It's what happens with every indie band that makes a splash in the mainstream: they instantly become the saviors of rock, when in fact, rock doesn't need a savior, it's doing fine.

Back on track, however.

The Strokes are okay, with "Reptilia" and "12:51" being their best songs, as they both feature that laid-back, groovy rock sound.

Guest Angry Baboon

I liked them until they ripped off the Pixies "Where is my mind?" with their song "Is this it?" and now I despise them. 12:51 is quite catchy though :P

I saw them with 10 other bands at a K-Rock Dysfunctional Family Picnic 2 summers ago in NY and they were good, but all their songs did sound the same after about the 3rd one. They just didn't have the necessary energy to play a big outdoor venue. As far as I remember, they were the only group that got booed as they exited since they seemed bored midway through the 40ish minute set.

Also on the bill were Third Strike, P.O.D., New Found Glory, Jimmy Eat World, Hoobastank, Incubus, Papa Roach, System of a Down and Korn. Everyone of those groups played a livelier set than the Strokes. Even a relative no name group like Third Strike seemed to get the crowd more into it than the so called saviors of Rock.

Edited by naiwf

I like 12:51 and Last Nite. I also own their first album. I don't mind them but there are much better bands around. The only band from the Saviour's of rock and roll group I really enjoy listening to is The White Stripes, and that's mainly to do with the dynamic of it only being 2 people in the band. Plus most of their songs are different rather than sounding like the same thing slightly altered 12 times.

Edited by Quom

Then how come they brokethrough in 2001 with "Last Nite" and have continued to be successful in the spotlight, three years after the fact?  Kinda says something when you're the flavor of 36 consecutive months.

It is a figure of speech.

I highly doubt someones 15 minutes of fame are 15 minutes.

I guess some people can't handle the fact that the Strokes are just like the other "garage rock" trash (I quote this because their are some very good 60's garage rock revival bands, they just don't happen to be the White Stripes, the Strokes, the Conformist, etc.) out there which will be long gone and forgotten in a few months.

In fact, it is already fading away. And thus I am happy.

It is a figure of speech.

I highly doubt someones 15 minutes of fame are 15 minutes.

I realize it's a figure of speech, but three years doesn't really fly as a short time span musically. That usually means two consecutive albums that have done well, which is the case for The Strokes, as both of their last two efforts have met with good reception.

Of course, three years are thrown out the window if you're Tool. Then albums come about once every other new president :P

Guest MuRd0K

I liked them until they ripped off the Pixies "Where is my mind?" with their song "Is this it?" and now I despise them. 12:51 is quite catchy though :P

Meh, I just "got" this song, the only part that is really ripped off was the guitar, but the rhytm of the rest is different.

But right now, in this business, specially in the rock/punk business, it's hard to come up with something new. 80's and 90's was amazing, and the fact that the music may sound a lot like Guns N' Roses, Pixies, Nirvana (I just heard a song from Offspring that was a blatant rip of "About a girl"), The Doors and others that I don't even know, it's because you grew up with that music and their influence is big on you.

And the fact that right now, Hip-Hop is getting the bigger attention of the music world nowadays, it's not helping showcase "new" rock bands. My friends have shat on my idea of actually promoting my band, because we need more luck than talent on the band (and the fact that we are playing on Mexico doesn't helps).

I don't know, I got out of the way of my point, what I'm trying to say is, Rock is now a difficult genre to succedd, simply because, the biggest rock bands on the world right now are shit Limp Biskit, Korn and others which grew successful because of the Pop generation.

And The Strokes isn't really a type of music you go to a concer and rock the scenario, it's a music you enjoy with your friends, drinking a beer, to relax, while in the car, or just talking with a girl who likes Rock, but not really a "let's go in a killing spree while listening to 12:51"

i like their music to a certain point, but i think that it´s just wrong to only have about 60 minutes of material after you released 2 albums in a pritty long range of time (btw. for the short amount of time they play, the concerts are arn expensife, i saw them live one time, they did play almost as long as their suport :/ )

New York City Cops > *