ROH 2006: True Honor And Respect

StylesClashLover

I want to start off by saying that I don't watch very much RoH so if I'm wrong about something, it's because I haven't seen much RoH.

I like some of the show, but some stuff seemed kind of boring. I liked the Matt Striker part and an invitational could be a good way of building him up. However I found the tag match boring. What do you mean by this was your average tag match? What happened that made it average? You could've elaborated more, I guess.

The next couple of matches, which may be a good matches, seem thrown together. I'm sorry if they do, but do these guys have any history together? I know it's not neccesary but shouldn't most of the matches on the card have some kind of meaning behind them?

I loved the Daniels/Shelley because your pushing Shelley. That's awesome! I hope we get a couple more matches out these two and it ends up where Daniels just can't beat Shelley, no matter how hard he tries because Shelley is indeed the future. Not much to say about the tag title match but I'm glad the champs retained. Hopefully they pull out a few more wins. I could see them losing the titles by trying to cheat but screwing up.

At first when I read it, I thought it said that Colt played dead. It didn't make any sense before. Anyway, I'm not sure if I like Nigel playing the "Eddie Guerrero-role" but I guess it works and we see Nigel as a cheater. I just wonder how long it will take for everyone to start figuring it out. I'd also like to see new techniques by Nigel instead of the old, throws chair to oppoent, both superstars are out cold with belt in the middle of the ring, etc.

Eh, the main event was alright but I think the entire show needs more detail. My only negative is that with Homicide getting one win over the champ and he actually gets a title shot, will he actually win it? I hope so. Overall, not a bad show I just think you need to elaborate more.

Well, the shows are quick to read, I can say that much.

I don't watch much RoH, or follow all that carefully, so most of this is just how I'd do some things from what I do know.

First off, lengthen your results. I'm not saying write pages upon pages of play by play, but work a little harder to get in big spots, signature spots, and some personality into the matches. With a fed like RoH, you aren't going to be cutting a lot of promos, so you need to get characters across with your matches, otherwise its 'bland guy A beat bland guy B with the blandy bland bland bland'... not fun to read.

As usual, I could care less about the undercard of RoH. Not entirely your fault, but you haven't really given me a reason to care about any of these guys either. That said, I'm not too much of a fan of the WWE signings, although I could see a couple of them in RoH, specifically Mamaluke and Yang.

I DO NOT like the booking of Samoa Joe over Homicide. Neither is really a 'full time' member of RoH at this point, as TNA is probably their priority, but at least with Homicide versus Danielson its something fresh. Joe, in RoH, is been there, done that. I know you clouded the title picture by having Homicide get the pinfall in the tag match, but I think that making him the clear number one contender would have been better.

I would have liked some backstory, or at least a match to bring back the Pure Title. You could have ran with Danielson deciding to defend both, and losing the Pure Title to someone due to being more focused on the Heavyweight Title. Maybe a double jeopardy sort of thing, a three way where one opponent is the contender for the Pure Title (McGuiness), and the second is challenging for the Heavyweight. Could have been really interesting.

Not sure if I like KENTA as a regular. I doubt he's going to leave Japan to come to RoH full time. He's better as a special treat for the fans.

The Kings of Wrestling are probably one of my favorite things going in indy wrestling right now, so I'd like to see them get a nice run with the belt. I know that the CZW/RoH War is over, but Hero is pretty much a slap in the face to RoH, since he still holds their belt, and he's not really a RoH guy. Be interesting to see how you go with that, and if you can come up with a good reason to keep him around after he drops the belt, maybe some good intrigue there.

I like what you've started, for the most part, just needs more detail, and maybe some more kayfabing of why you're doing things, particularly regarding the Pure Title.

OK, I'll start from the top.

I really like Matt Striker in WWE with the teacher gimmick. I enjoy Matt Striker's ring work. But Matt Striker, the wrestler, not Matt Striker the teacher who cheats to win, should be in ROH. The Teacher Invitational is such a sports entertainment thing to do, not a Ring of Honor thing. Having said that, it's still a Striker push, I'll be content to see where it goes.

As much as I love Alex Shelley, I don't think him beating Daniels would spell the end for Daniels. Unless Daniels is retiring in the game, I can't think of a reason why you would say he passed the torch. Fact is, Daniels has always been a company man for ROH, he's never been the top star, he's never been the champion, so in that way it doesn't even make sense that he would pass the torch. Again though, I'll wait and see where it goes.

I don't understand the reasoning for the Pure title being brought back and put on Nigel, seemingly without any explanation. The title was dropped because the matches were getting too stale and predictable. However, I liked giving Nigel the win through the 'Eddie' route, it's just of the ways Nigel would have tried valiantly to keep the belt.

Homicide pinning Danielson makes some sense, but again, it seems like a more sports entertainment thing to do, 'I pinned the champion, I should get a title shot', but you've already said that Joe is the number one contender? Not sure I get the reasoning behind that.

Now that I've been through the booking, I'll get to the writing. Now I know writing out full shows takes a hell of a long time, even writing them shorter like the way I do, takes a lot of time. But these results look like they took 10 minutes to come up with. There needs to be some sort of detail to really attract people to read this, otherwise they're just going to take a look, and decide it's too little.

Overall, I thought the majority of the show was well booked, so you don't have any real problems there, but it's the lack of detail that is your main problem. Because of this, you have effectively made a show titled 'Unforgettable', rather forgettable.

• 2 weeks later...

ROH Newswire - Week 3

- The main-events for the next two shows, Fight of the Century and Vendetta, have been announced. At Fight of the Century, there will be a four corner survival non-title match. The participants in this match are Homicide, Bryan Danielson, KENTA and Samoa Joe. The following night at Vendetta, there will be ANOTHER four-way match, but this time it's under elimination rules, AND it's for the ROH World Championship, with the same participants as the night before!

The following statements are the reason for these four-way matches.

• Samoa Joe is number one contender to Danielson's title, after he beat Homicide at War of the Wire II!
  • Homicide is claiming he earned the title shot, too, because he pinned Danielson at Unforgettable!
  • KENTA is claiming he, too earned the title shot, because he was on the winning side at Unforgettable!

- Alex Shelley has issued a challenge to Pure champion Nigel McGuinness for Fight of the Century.

Shelley said; "You see, Nigel, I have been studying your matches very closely, and almost anyone with no brain cells at all could see that you are the luckiest, undeserving son of a b**** that ever held any title in Ring of Honor. On the other hand, you've got me, the greatest performer in this company, without ANY gold, and everyone can see that I, unlike you, Nigel, am the most deserving in this company. I beat Christopher Daniels at Unforgettable last month, what did you do, Nigel? Oh yeah, you beat Colt Cabana, but how did you do that, Nigel? Oh yes, that's right, by cheating! Nigel, you better watch your back, because I am coming for you, AND your gold!"

- There will be two additional singles matches at Fight of the Century. One half of the tag-team champions, Chris Hero will go one-on-one against Mark Briscoe, and the other half Claudio Castagnoli will go up against the other Briscoe brother, Jay! If by any chance, the Briscoes get two victories in one night against the champs, what will the future have in store for the Briscoes concerning title shots?

- Three Japanese stars have been signed by Ring of Honor. Naomichi Marufuji, Kaz Hayashi and CIMA have agreed a deal which will let them work 2 or 3 dates for ROH. These short-term deals will include some 'dream matches' if you like. Some people are wondering whether there will be a 'Jung Dragons' reunion with Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hayashi, which may be true.

Edited by StylesClashLover

The following has been took from ROHVideos.com

The screen shows Austin Aries, in the Ring of Honor locker-room, just near a little balcony.

Austin Aries: "Roderick Strong. Yes, you. Our tag team days are over, Roderick, yes, you heard, OVER! You have held me back all these years, even when I held the most prestigious belt in this promotion, you still held me back. But now, this is all going to change, Roderick. You will never hold me back again, you know why? Because as I said, Generation Next is over, me and you, are over as a tag-team. It was your fault we lost the titles, Roderick, your fault it has to come to this, and only you will suffer, what you have put ME through these past few weeks, I am sick and tired of it. Roderick Strong, I am challenging you, to a match at Fight of the Century. Accept or decline, Roderick, your choice, because when I've stopped you from holding me back in my singles career, and when I've pinned you in the middle of MY ring, one, two, three, I am going on MY quest for the ROH World Championship, and I promise everyone this, no-one, and I mean NO-ONE, will hold me back this time!"

CONFIRMED CARD/PREVIEW FOR FIGHT OF THE CENTURY 2006

Bryan Danielson vs Homicide vs KENTA vs Samoa Joe in a non-title match

This four-way match-up is looking great with four of the toughest, hard-hitting competitors in the world right now! In this non-title four corner survival, all four athletes will be looking for the victory, and when all these are in the ring together, there's sure to be chaos. Unlike last time, it's every man for themself. Who will have the momentum going into Vendetta's World Championship match?

Colt Cabana vs Christopher Daniels

What a match this is going to be, with two of the smartest technicians on the roster going at it one-on-one. Both of these great athletes lost their matches at Unforgettable and they will both be wanting a victory to get their careers back on track. Who will come out victorious in this sure-to-be classical match, the 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels, or 'Classic' Colt Cabana?

Alex Shelley vs Nigel McGuinness © for the ROH Pure Championship

Last week, Alex Shelley issued a challenge to Nigel McGuinness for his gold at Fight of the Century. McGuinness willingly accepted, and claimed: "That stupid young man will get what's coming to him, no-one messes with the best technical wrestler in the business, Nigel McGuinness. This is my gold, and mine only!". What will Alex Shelley have to say about that, or is it too late to play mind games, because this Saturday, Alex Shelley and Nigel McGuinness will get it on FOR THE GOLD!

Chris Hero vs Mark Briscoe

The Briscoe Brothers are looking for what they claim to be 'THEIR GOLD' and have challenged the tag team champions, Hero and Castagnoli to two single matches, at Fight of the Century. If the Briscoes were to win BOTH of these matches, they will get a shot at the titles the next night, at Vendetta.

Claudio Castagnoli vs Jay Briscoe

The Briscoe Brothers are looking for what they claim to be 'THEIR GOLD' and have challenged the tag team champions, Hero and Castagnoli to two single matches, at Fight of the Century. If the Briscoes were to win BOTH of these matches, they will get a shot at the titles the next night, at Vendetta.

Matt Striker Teacher's Invitational

Matt Striker will host the second episode of his new 'teacher's invitational'. Who will step up to the cheating teacher and beat him at his own game? Or will Striker teach his 'stupid' opponent a valuable lesson of wrestling?

Edited by StylesClashLover

• 9 months later...