Coach K in Serious Discussions with Lakers..

Guest Finisher123

Guest Finisher123

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Los Angeles Lakers are in "serious discussions" with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski about their coaching vacancy.

Krzyzewski, a Hall of Fame coach, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school. He informed school officials that the Lakers had contacted him about the job, Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said Thursday.

Krzyzewski was not available for comment, the school said. A message left with Lakers spokesman John Black was not immediately returned. Duke has a press conference scheduled for 5:45 p.m. ET on Thursday.

Alleva said he and Duke president Richard Brodhead recently had dinner with Krzyzewski and told the coach they wanted him to finish his career at Duke.

"We have long believed that Mike is the best coach in the country," Alleva said in the statement. "The Lakers' interest in him merely confirms what we have known."

Krzyzewski has compiled a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1832934

All i can say is, WOW. I cant believe hes gonna leave Duke........What a great hire for the Lakers if this happens.

I really don't see this happening. It would definitely shock me but then again Coach K. doesn't really have much else to prove at the college level.

Edit: Anyone watching the press conference? I'm not either but from what I hear on radio it's got no news in it......but just University officials practically begging K. to stay.

Edited by sahyder1

Thursday, July 1, 2004

ESPN.com news services

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has been offered the Los Angeles Lakers' head coaching job, ESPN's Jim Gray reported Thursday evening.

According to Gray, the Lakers expect to hear from Krzyzewski in the next few days and hope to have their coaching search wrapped up by next week. There are no firm details yet on the offer, described as multiyear and multimillion. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak met with Krzyzewski in North Carolina, Gray reported.

Earlier Thursday, The Associated Press reported that the Lakers were in "serious discussions" with Krzyzewski about their coaching position.

Krzyzewski, a Hall of Fame coach, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school. He informed school officials that the Lakers had contacted him about the job, Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said Thursday.

Krzyzewski was not available for comment, the school said.

Lakers spokesman John Black confirmed the team spoke with Krzyzewski.

"They talked about our coaching vacancy," Black said. "Beyond that, we are not going to comment further or answer any questions."

Black said the team has not made a decision, is considering several candidates and won't comment further until the appropriate time.

Alleva said he didn't know if the Krzyzewski and the Lakers were close to a deal.

"I haven't been privy to their conversations," he said. "But obviously, they are a great franchise."

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson said Krzyzewski was in Durham earlier Thursday. The Lakers declined to say where the discussions were held.

An attempt to reach Krzyzewski by phone was unsuccessful.

Duke president Richard Brodhead told AP he and Alleva had dinner with Krzyzewski on Tuesday, after Brodhead became aware that the coach had talked with the Lakers.

"If he has the offer, he's going to have a big decision before him," said Brodhead, who officially took office as Duke's president Thursday, succeeding Nan Keohane.

Brodhead said he and Alleva urged Krzyzewski to finish his career at the school. The coach has a contract for like as Duke' coach.

"He means more to this place than the record of his victories, impressive though that is," Brodhead said. "He's a real teacher. He teaches character as well as basketball."

Krzyzewski has compiled a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

The Lakers announced June 18 -- three days after losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals -- that Phil Jackson wouldn't return as coach next season. Jackson, who signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Lakers in June 1999, guided them to championships in his first three seasons.

Former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich has been considered the front-runner to succeed Jackson. He met with team owner Jerry Buss and Kupchak last week. The Lakers didn't comment on Tomjanovich's candidacy when his name first surfaced last week.

Former Lakers coach Pat Riley, an executive with the Miami Heat, also met with Buss and Kupchak, but issued a statement saying he wasn't a candidate.

Among others mentioned have been Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons, members of Jackson's staff. Kupchak said he planned on interviewing more than one person and less than 10 for the job and hoped to have a coach in place as soon as possible.

Last month, Pistons coach Larry Brown became the first coach to win titles in both the NBA and NCAA. But Brown is the exception to the general trend of college coaches struggling in the NBA.

Rick Pitino went from two straight appearances in the national title game with Kentucky to the Boston Celtics, before quitting in 2001 and later returning to the college ranks with Louisville.

In 1992, Jerry Tarkanian, whose UNLV team won a national title in 1990, lasted just 20 games before being fired by the San Antonio Spurs with a 9-11 record.

More recently, former college coaches Lon Kruger, John Calipari and Leonard Hamilton have struggled during short tenures with the Atlanta Hawks, New Jersey Nets and Washington Wizards, respectively.

"If he [Krzyzewski] decides that he's had a great ride at Duke, but something else calls out to him now, we'd have to understand that," Brodhead said. "In the meantime, you can be sure we'll do all we can to persuade him that Duke and the college game are the right place for him."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I wanna see what this offer is.

You damn right he stays with Duke. Hell, I'm a Georgia Tech fan and I love the news. Mr. K would've walked into potential legacy suicide by taking the Lakers job and getting thrust directly into the Kobe/Shaq/Mitch soap opera.

And on an unrelated note, I must say that we have very nice avatars going on. Komodo 3000 sporting the Mitch Hedberg, while Magus kicks it Scotty Nguyen style.