Photoshop Question

SD30Janshow.jpg

I was wondering how you make layers, in Photoshop CS2, black and white. I am wanting to make the cuts of Angle in the middle and the right black and white but I am not sure how. Help would be appreciated (Y)

Also, could you please rate it. It's a show banner for my up and coming 2003 diary. Thanks

There's two ways to do what you want. The Destructive way and the non destructive way. The Destructive way is just one step but if you mess up you'll have to use undo and plus you don't have full control over the effect. I'll post both ways and you can choose which one you like best.

Destructive Way

1. Click the layer you want to be black and white.

2. Go to Image-Adjustments- Desaturate (Shortcut is Shift + Ctrl + U)

or

you can go to Image-Adjustments-Hue/Saturation( Shortcut is Ctrl + U) and lower the saturation to fit your needs.

Non-Destructive Way(I always use this method in soley)

1. above the layer you want to be black and white . create a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Change the saturation to your liking ( in this case you should set it to 0)

2. Now you will notice everything is black and white.

3. Ctrl click the layers you want to be black and white. This should make a selection around them.

4. Now click on the adjustment layer you created. using the paintbucket fill the selection with black. now the layers you want to B&W should be in color.

6. Now hot Ctrl + I to invert the mask and yopu should have those two layers in B&W.

As far as the graphic goes its pretty good . the background is a little plain but it works along with the text and the smackdown logo.

glad I could help . The reason I use the second method is for instances when I have certain things in my image that isn't on a seperate layer , with an adjustment layer you can add and delete color from the image without actually changing the original

You could always read the manual that came with your purchase. (Y)

Sorry, I had to have a smart-ass moment.

yeah i know what you mean . its gotten to where lately I have at least 8 or 9 adjustment layers in my graphics I love 'em but if I'm ina rush I either use adjust-Desaturate or hu3/saturation . but I think I'll start doing your method for my quickie grayscales. might eve try to setup an action so its even quicker ;)