2006/07 NBA Thread

JStarr

Timberwolves talking three-way Garnett deal

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

June 27, 2007

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

I'm not sure which is more surprising, the fact that Amare would actually welcome going to Atlanta, or the fact that anyone would give up Stoudemire to get Garnett. I'm a huge Garnett fan, but damn, Amare's a beast. Health concerns and all that play into it, but Garnett's starting to get dinged up a bit himself.

And yes, Minnesota is officially waving the white flag. "SEND US DRAFT PICKS AND CRAP! WE LOVE CRAP!"

Oh, and ESPN's talking about Boston being involved as well in a different deal.

KG to Phoenix

Marion to Boston

Kurt Thomas, Theo Ratliff, Delonte West, #5 pick tomorrow to Minnesota

Except for the fact that Marion has no desire to go to Boston. If you were Minnesota, which deal would you rather do? I'd take #1 myself, since the Wolves have really reached the point where lots of draft picks will give them the most help.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to get a great deal for Kevin Garnett hit a major roadblock on Wednesday afternoon, sources told ESPN.com.

According to multiple sources, the Timberwolves have been talking to multiple teams about finding a third team to help facilitate a Garnett trade.

As ESPN.com reported on Tuesday evening, Minnesota was looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

Edited by SKA

No way I'd swap Amare for Garnett (unless they are certain he's injury prone). There is also no way I'd take draft picks (unless it was no.1 and another later pick) for Garnett. As such I think Atlanta are the only ones really gaining from the first option.

The second one seems more balanced but I don't really see it helping any of the teams involved to a degree to make the trade worth doing especially since it would put Amare and Garnett on the same team forcing Garnett to pretty much only play on the high post.