I'm getting an Xbox 360, but I've got a couple questions

Pepsi Punk

My parents are buying me an Xbox 360 for Christmas, but we don't have an HDTV. Is the 360 only compatible with an HDTV, does it play in widescreen with those black things at the top and bottom, does it cut off the extra space and play in my regular resolution, or does it stretch the screen to fit?

If the answer isn't the one of two I want, there's still no way I'm shelling out a grand for a TV.

I got my XBOX 360 about a month ago and it has worked fine on my standard tv set. The graphics are still awesome! It depends on the game wether or not you get widescreen cutoffs or other related resolution problems. I've played a dozen games so far and the only game that had the widescreen with really small, hard to read text was Dead Rising. Everything else has played normally for me with no problems.

Sweet. The main reason for me posting this was seeing a video of SVR 07 on the 360 in normal resolution, but all of the health gauges were in the position they would be in on the PS2. I was hoping I wasn't just seeing things.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of bringing this topic up. I was going to ask this as I'm probably going to purchase one myself next week. A friend of mine said that's it not worth it without HDTV, but I think he's either being a dick or just relying too much on stupid wives tales he's heard about the system.

One quick question, how many controllers have you guys (on average of the EWB buyers) gotten with your system? I'm talking if you bought the whole package, the big fat package. I've heard two wireless and one wired from the Sam's Club by my house, the worst case scenario I've heard is two controllers, which isn't bad at all.

Stop being cheap and shell out for a HDTV like I did >_>

Nah, it works perfectly well on a standard TV, for the first couple of months I was using a 21" bog-standard TV and it was fine. Text was a little small on FIFA World Cup and Dead Rising, but it works and looks great. Still, nothing like gaming in HD though :P

As for the controllers, I have two. One came with the premium console package and I had the other one for my birthday the following week.

It works fine on normal TVs as people have said, but certain games might require you to fiddle with the settings a little, games like Dead Rising'll need you to play on Widescreen mode if you ever want to read the text, and SDvR07 only seems to work on PAL-60 mode.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of bringing this topic up. I was going to ask this as I'm probably going to purchase one myself next week. A friend of mine said that's it not worth it without HDTV, but I think he's either being a dick or just relying too much on stupid wives tales he's heard about the system.

One quick question, how many controllers have you guys (on average of the EWB buyers) gotten with your system? I'm talking if you bought the whole package, the big fat package. I've heard two wireless and one wired from the Sam's Club by my house, the worst case scenario I've heard is two controllers, which isn't bad at all.

I bought the Premium package from Amazon, and I only got one wireless pad with it :ohwell:

The 360 works perfectly on standard and HD televisions. You just need to go into the setting and change it if you are using HD.

Oh, and it does look better on an HDTV. It's good on standard, but when you move up to HD you can tell.

I only have an SDTV and it looks perfectly fine, I am planning on buying an HDTV before the end of the year though

I got 1 Wireless Controller from the 360 I won from Pepsi last year, the premium/core bundles only come with 1 controller, if you are getting more then you are probably buying one of those bigger bundles

Edited by Corizzle