Lost Planet

Gongsun Zan

So, seeing as this is the first big launch of the year, I figure I might as well give it a mini-review of sorts. In point form, of course.

I bought the collector's edition, because like all capcom games here, the price is retardedly jacked up. So i figured I might as well go all the way and get the pretty box. The art book is ok, and I haven't look at the bonus DVD yet.

It's pretty. Very pretty. It's not Gears of War, but it's pretty in its own way.

I've had a few 'whoah' moments so far, and it seems to be heading in that direction, as opposed to GOW's hardcore-uber-meathead-badass approach.

Explosions are cool. Sometimes it too hard to see anything though, because there's so much damn smoke/snow/fire in your way.

Turn off auto aim. You'll thank me for it.

Stages are about 30 mins each so far, and by counting the achievements, there's probably around 13 of them, but don't take it from me.

The game is HARD. Even on normal, it took me like 12 times to clear the chapter 3 boss fight. In the end, i won with less than half a sliver of health left, with all my thermal points used up.

The story however, seems rather disjointed. It's passable, but don't expect anything too epic.

Action seems rather sparse so far, outside the boss fights. I assume this will probably change as I go further.

As for multiplayer Maps are 16 players, and lag free. By lag free, I meant if I shoot the guy, it takes about a second for the hit to register, but it's like GOW in that regard.

Maps are also fucking huge. You're unlikely to have actually all 16 players fighting in one spot. In fact, they're a bit too huge for my taste. I spend more time walking around trying to find people than actually shooting them.

VS seem rather overpowered in multiplayer. They pretty much rape infantry, so unless you have rockets or a VS or your own, all you can do is cower and hide.

There's a level up system of sort, but you level up kinda fast, IMO. Four games, and I'm already level 12. Considering a bunch of the jap guys are already like level 68, getting the Lvl 50 achievement looks to be pretty easy.

Hardly anyone uses their headset though, making the maps even more confusing.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10. This score may change as I play further, but that's what I think right now.

I downloaded the single player demo from XBL, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I know it's not supposed to be a Gears beater or anything, but from the little I played, it just seemed too ambitious. It took a while to get used to the aiming, but for the most part I ran around a pile of snow without a clue. Eventually I found a warehouse full of alien things, killed them all, and then went back to running around doing nothing.

I might give the real game a rental, since a demo is just that, but it didn't do anything for me.

When I first heard about this I was a lot more excited than I am now. Think it's just a combination of the allegedly uninspiring single player, GoW being awesome, and BioShock + Mass Effect coming out so soon. Can't wait for the latter :D

I've played around with the demo and it honestly reminds me of a 3D Contra (anyone else with me on that?). Obviously the game has it's roots planted in the 8 and 16 bit era shoot 'em ups. That's not such a bad thing since I absolutely love those types of games.

Since you own the full game Zan I've got a question (things may have changed since the demo): How fast does your T-ENG drain? In the demo it dropped like crazy and really pissed me off. I understand it's there for you to run through and never slow down on the killing but during boss battles it's a real pain in my ass. Since you've played the demo and full version I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I've played around with the demo and it honestly reminds me of a 3D Contra (anyone else with me on that?). Obviously the game has it's roots planted in the 8 and 16 bit era shoot 'em ups. That's not such a bad thing since I absolutely love those types of games.

Since you own the full game Zan I've got a question (things may have changed since the demo): How fast does your T-ENG drain? In the demo it dropped like crazy and really pissed me off. I understand it's there for you to run through and never slow down on the killing but during boss battles it's a real pain in my ass. Since you've played the demo and full version I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I actually am really interested in this game. I haven't bought it yet because reviews have been a bit dissapointing as i expected this to get ratings in the 9.0-9.5 area on IGN but far from it in the end.

So... is it worth the money if i intend to play it just as a Single Player game ?

I actually am really interested in this game. I haven't bought it yet because reviews have been a bit dissapointing as i expected this to get ratings in the 9.0-9.5 area on IGN but far from it in the end.

So... is it worth the money if i intend to play it just as a Single Player game ?