UK PS3 stock shortage?

TheCrippler

Does anybody have any idea of how tough it's gonna be to get a PS3 at launch in the UK?

Is it gonna be like the 360, or the Wii, where they're impossible to get hold of for weeks/months after launch? Or do you reckon that because of the high price, delayed launch and bad press that they'll be pretty readily available?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have any idea of how tough it's gonna be to get a PS3 at launch in the UK?

Is it gonna be like the 360, or the Wii, where they're impossible to get hold of for weeks/months after launch? Or do you reckon that because of the high price, delayed launch and bad press that they'll be pretty readily available?

They'll only hand over for what demand there is to claim that they 'sold out' on the first day, it's a console tactic and it's a bunch of shit. Search hard enough and you should find one.

There's no way you'll be able to walk into a shop on day one and buy a PS3. If you pre-order now there's a good chance you'll get one at launch, but you'll probably have to buy it in a bundle of some sort. Woolies are doing a console and either F1, Motorstorm or Resistance for £465 or two of those games for £495. We've done about half of our allocation on the last update we got, so there's still time, but don't dilly-dally. <_<

It's gonna be exactly like the Wii and XBox 360. The UK never gets given enough consoles. Such is life. Wait for the second or third wave - it's hardly a hardship. Unless you get a hard on by being one of the first in the country to own something.

I haven't ordered one for release because I'm happy enough with my 360. I'll probably get one around October time if I can be bothered.

Although I do wonder how the sales are going? They seem to be going pretty slow at the moment. Amazon said they'd stop taking pre-orders once they'd sold their allocation and you can still order them, even though they've been on sale a week or two now.

My local Woolworths still has around 60% of their stock allocation available for pre-order according to a friend and GAME has around 30% left with under a month left to launch.

I think a lot of people pre-ordering a few are going to get burned this time around with the PS3 as you'll still probably be able to pre-order with most places until a few days before launch.

I have 3 pre-orders already :shifty:

I'll be keeping one, and flogging the others on Ebay.

Immoral? Maybe.

Lucrative? Definately!

If I could warn you for being a cunt, I would, it's people like you that fucking ruin the gaming industry... second thoughts, anyone stupid enough to pay the mark price, let alone above that, deserves to be ripped off. Why pay so much for the least anticipated console since the GameBoy Pocket (zOMG it's smaller!).

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said that backwards compatibility with PlayStations 2 games of the PlayStation 3 console, slated to be released in PAL regions in about a month, will not be as good as that of the Japanese and the U.S. versions of the console (which play 98% of old games). “The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models,” a Sony spokesperson was quoted as saying by Reuters news-agency. It is unclear exactly how many games will be playable on the next generation console. Sony emphasized that the company expects end-users to jump on the PS3 bandwagon in anticipation of improved game titles made exclusively for the new console: “Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3.”

To make matters worse for European gamers, in PAL regions the machines will retail for up to $240 more than in the U.S. and up to $345 higher compared to the recommended price (¥59 980 or $495) in Japan. Initially Sony will only sell the higher-end PlayStation 3 version of the console (60GB HDD), for €599 ($777) in the most of the markets and for pricing close to that in variety of countries: UK – £425 ($837), Ireland – €629 ($816), Australia – AUD 999.95 ($777), New Zealand – NZ 1199.95 ($840).

So glad I decided to go with a 360 now :thumbsdown:

Firstly yeah £425 is gonna be worth it but I can't afford it right now.

Secondly it connects with itunes and your ipod and stuff (according to the Empire review) which is nice.

Thirdly I'm highly anticipating it at least.

Fourthly I never play old PS1 games on my PS2 although I may run through MGS again.

Fifthly it speaks to my PSP and does all kinds of semi-exciting things like remote control and remote-view.

Sixthly it looks teh sex.

Seventhly Windows Media Format compatible.

Eighthly it's decided to stick with the Dual Shock controller (hallelujah)