Why do they all look the same?

The Sultan of Swank

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird, because I did hang out with the scene crowd for the better part of the last year...as in the ones who'd go to "hardcore" shows and listen to music with a lot of fucking screaming, but I think I've slowly distanced myself from that. It's hard to escape in Tuscaloosa, though. It's literally either you're a redneck, a rich "look down upon everyone else" prep, a scene kid, or a goth "but I wouldn't call myself that" goth.

Really puts me at a strange position because I'm a "don't really care to be in any clique but just hang out with people I know" person and maybe that's why I never could get into that crowd, perhaps because I just couldn't give a shit about dressing like them.

Now I hang around this strange crowd of in-between "scene and goth" type folks that are mostly into metal and some stuff that I can't really get into, but they're cool folks.

(Yes, this was a rambling post.)

It's quite good in Jersey, or at least for people around my age and older, as there never used to be an "alternative" scene to speak of (now there's hundreds of the little buggers running around aged thirteen or fourteen, it's terrifying), so if you liked anything out of the ordinary, you all grouped together, and it resulted in a few elitist cunts, but for the most part everyone mixing, so you got a real mixture of interests and fashion sense, and got a really unique crowd out of it. A lot of them have moved away now, but you can still see the effects of it, you get really experimental and interesting bands forming, and "indie kids" being best friends with massive death metal fans that you'd probably never see in London or somewhere like that, it's quite refreshing.