Why do they all look the same?

The Sultan of Swank

Alright, so I've got a friend who through most of high-school was 'scene' or 'hardcore' or I dunno what to call it. He called himself scene. He basically wore black most of the time, tight as hell pants that I swore were ladies pants, dyed his hair black and left some of it blonde, and also had it grow long enough for it to cover only one of his eyes. Now I never understood it but he always told me that this is who HE was.

So now that we're in college there's like 200 of them and they all look exactly alike, but all are convinced that they're not the trend, they're totally unique because they listen to music with screaming and dress the same. What I'm trying to understand is why do they have to look a certain way to enjoy the music? Because they look down uon those who don't but go to the shows. Also, most of them seem to be vegetarian converts and straight-edge. It's like some sort of a psuedo-religion.

So what's the deal? Why do they have to be the same to be different?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I've got a friend who through most of high-school was 'scene' or 'hardcore' or I dunno what to call it. He called himself scene. He basically wore black most of the time, tight as hell pants that I swore were ladies pants, dyed his hair black and left some of it blonde, and also had it grow long enough for it to cover only one of his eyes. Now I never understood it but he always told me that this is who HE was.

So now that we're in college there's like 200 of them and they all look exactly alike, but all are convinced that they're not the trend, they're totally unique because they listen to music with screaming and dress the same. What I'm trying to understand is why do they have to look a certain way to enjoy the music? Because they look down uon those who don't but go to the shows. Also, most of them seem to be vegetarian converts and straight-edge. It's like some sort of a psuedo-religion.

So what's the deal? Why do they have to be the same to be different?

The idea of androgeny, in order to stand out more from the crowd, and disassociate themselves from the gender specific ideals of society at large. At a guess.

The whole 'scene' aesthetic is based on looking different, but most of them do so by copying what they think looks good on others. It's the same as with any clique, where the majority of members look the same.

I missed out. I didn't have a clique in my early-mid teenage years :(

Unless my clique was the fact that I played badminton, cricket, football, tennis and basketball for district/club/school.

Did that make me "Uber-sports-geek-nerd" or something? I never got to wear tight trousers and long hair would have hampered my vision of the shuttlecock :shifty:

Also, why are the pants so tight?

I think a lot of that has to do with them wearing actual girls jeans. I don't know why, but it's become a fad for men to wear women's jeans. Call me old fashioned, but I still wear pants made for men.

And honestly, I love punk music, but a lot of the "punkers" in Michigan are full of shit as well. Go to any local punk show and half of them looked like they were dressed by the band Discharge. It seems that leather jackets with studs (and don't get me wrong, I wear the biker jacket, but would never ruin it with studs or back patches), and patches ranging from bands like Crass, Anti-Cimex, Discharge, English Dogs, or some other arbitrary English D-Beat shit. Then they all seem to be trying to out punk each other with their shitty 40 oz's of beer and minimal knowledge of music. IF IT'S NOT PISSED IT'S NOT PUNK. Fuck those cretins, I'll shit all over them.

I find that most any subculture encounters these sort of people. You'll have the elitist types that like to go all out with their dress code.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Emo girls are hot.

The drummer in my band is what we would call 'scene', he's also my girlfriends brother and occasionaly wears her skinny jean things.

They look better on her.

So can some one eleborate the difference between emo and scene for me? I know emo (theres a goddamn lot of them round here <_< ), and im not sure if scene is something else, or just another name for it.

I have a friend who wears girl pants, mianly when he's trying to look good though, aka. on stage with his band. Modern Machine isn't emo at all, but he generally gets called so even though he's the furthest thing from emo. People rag on him for the pants all the time, but he just thinks it looks good and prefers tight pants. Meh, I might even do it if I could stand tight pants.

In a few interviews, John Lydon has said "it's the punks that killed punk", and it seems to be exactly the same scenario here, as it has been with every subculture since punk, and probably every subculture before it. It'll begin with one or two core groups, and they'll dress legitimately differently, they'll stand out from the crowd, and it'll be intrinsically linked (usually) with the music and the beliefs that go with it. The bigger the subculture begins, the more people buy into it, and just go out of their way to dress like those they associate with it, without any real understanding of why.

Punk's the most obvious example, because you look at it in the early days, either in New York or in London (London's the obvious example, because of the amount of media coverage and exposure the early punk crowds got, and how recognisable a lot of them are), and everyone dresses completely uniquely, and completely differently. As soon as the Sex Pistols started to get big, punk "fashion" was costing an arm and a leg, and people were turning up to the shows dressed in identikit punk "uniform" of the Sid Vicious leather jacket, torn jeans, spiked hair, piercings, safety pins, etc., while having nothing to do with the roots of it all, or understanding what it was that made it "unique" or "different" in the first place.

I don't know much about the roots of the current "scene" or whatever it is, but it's clear that some kind of similar process has occured, only perhaps to a more alarming degree, thanks to increased media opportunities (read: Myspace :shifty:), meaning that they can converse with people involved in the "scene" all over the world, and essentially pick and choose what parts of the fashion they like, and it's got to a point where it's 90% about fashion, even within the music, and 10% about any kind of musical integrity.