The 2007 NCAA Tournament

ACCBiggz

Drexel DOES NOT deserve in the NCAA tourny.

I could give 2 cents about their road wins over Villanova and Syracuse... they finished FOURTH, 4th in their conference going 0-4, ZERO-FOUR, against the top two teams in their conference and did NOT win their conference tourny.

KSU/Syracuse probably deserved it over FSU, but depends on what you look at.

Florida State has wins over Maryland, @ Duke, and Florida (the overall #1 Seed). They lost their starting PG and went 1-4 with him out, with one more win they are probably in the tourny. Two buzzer beater losses to Boston College killed them, but to say Drexel got screwed is pathetic. I understand they have a harder time since they play in a mid-major, but knowing you are a mid-major you can not finish fourth in your medicore conference.

So how exactly then does Drexel get into the tournament for future reference? They went 13-5 in their conference, by the way 13 was their highest total of conference wins ever. They finished fourth behind three teams who also won the most conference games they had won in their histories. They went on the road to every where, played no neutral site games and won many of them. If you want to come out and say that Drexel doesn't deserve to ever be in the tournament then do so, but don't pull some bullshit about how their resume didn't deserve it because you are wrong. And if we are being completely honest, Syracuse and Kansas State were very easily in before Florida State who went 7-9 in a mediocre major conference. Florida State also played a very weak non-conference schedule when you consider that they played 15 non-conference games, only three against tourney teams, which by the way they were 1-2 in, and they played only four non conference games on the road, Pittsburgh (a loss), Wisconsin (a loss), Stetson (11-20 and a Florida school), and Georgia State (11-20 and in Georgia) so they really made an attempt to schedule tough games.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job pointing out that the ACC is better than the CAA. I'm going to invoke a Biggz argument and say "If you can't finish higher than 9th and with a record better than sub .500 then you don't deserve to be in the tournament." Did I get the gist of that correct?

Also note that Penn is in the NCAA tournament as well.

Also why not the note next to Carolina that they are in based on winning the conference records if you are going to try and take subtle digs at teams. From what I remember you are always against the mid-major schools so I almost have a hard time with your arguments even if some points are valid.

Edited by Big Red Fury

It's not just scheduling, I understand mid-majors can't play the same conference games, but when you finish 4th in that conference going 0-4 against the top two teams, as well as having terrible losses to the likes of Rider, you don't deserve a bid.

But you are saying they are MORE deserving than FSU. Just look at the losses, Every Nole loss is to a tournament team (Clemson in the NIT, but they did start 17-0 and looking like a decent seed before the wheels came flying off at alarming speeds). Then you look at the wins, more quality wins.

If it is the best 34 teams after the 31 bids... then FSU should be ranked higher than Drexel. Both are in the NIT, Drexel and FSU have tough first round draws... this should be an interesting test for both teams.

To be fair, your mistakes proved the case for Drexel in many (Penn did make the NCAA, and Vermont's also in the NIT [NIT stipulations say that if a conference's regular season champs lose in the tournament, then the NIT gives them an automatic bid]). Put those in, and Drexel's case becomes better [every key win is against a tournament team, three losses were tournament teams].

Yeah, reading Biggz 'stats' doesn't impress me one bit. Looks liek FSU got creamed by some quality teams (Yeah, that's impressive) and as was mentioned he clearly has a Major Program bias. Now, I won't lie, I have something of a Mid-Major bias, but Drezel's schedule speaks for itself, and I will trust the opinions of experts (THe majority of whom say Drexel should be in).

Also, I don't see it as 'shocking' if Duke went to the sweet 16. They are a 6 seed and obviously every year they are a threat. I'm just saying there is a verl real chance they could be upset. The CAA was a tough conference to play in given the records/results the teams posted and the fact they almost (And probably should have) had 3 teams which is very impressive for a Mid-Major.

Oh, and Vermont winning was sweet :shifty:

I'm sorry I forgot Penn and Vermont, another two of the elite. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with a major conference bias at all... I have a serious problem saying teams like Drexel who clearly do not deserve a bid into the NCAA Tournament, getting in (if they would have) over teams like Kansas State and Florida State. It's about the top 34 at large teams, not the top 34 at large cinderella stories. This is for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! I do not give 2 cents about any undeserving team getting a chance, if they get lucky, to say they are national champions. This is why I HATE the conference tournys. It would be possible for a team to go 0-30, then win the conference tourny and NCAA and call themselves champions, that's a crock. I don't like seeing Miami (OH) taking someones spot because they hit a game winner... this is for the championship.

Against, Hofstra beat them both times in their conference last year, and even though they made it into the Final Four, it did not justify leaving Hofstra out and GM in.

With that said I don't have thier 05/06 schedules handy and couldn't tell you their big wins and bad losses for last season, but if memory serves it is nearly identical to Drexel/ODU. Where this year they got it right.

Edited by ACCBiggz

We joked a State fan this morning. He doesn't get cable so we told him State lost.

"But they won"

"Yeah, but one of their guys was academically ineligible and they took their win away"

"FUCK!"

We told everybody to play along and he hasn't spoken to any of us since due to his depression right now.

So who does everyone have as their Final Four?

In one bracket, I have: Florida, Pitt, Georgetown, and Ohio State. Florida and OSU for the title, with Florida winning.

In the other, I have: Wisconsin, UCLA, Texas, and Ohio State. UCLA and OSU for the title, with UCLA winning.

Yours? Go.

I have Florida, Kansas, Georgetown, and Texas A&M in the final four, with Georgetown beating Florida in the finals.

lol, Kansas.

I've been burned by them way too many times over the years. I no longer bet on them to make the Sweet 16...ever.