Official NFL 2007 Thread

ACCBiggz

Dallas has the biggest running threat, yet they don't use it properly

What? You're going to have to explain to me how the Cowboys don't use their running threat properly.

Last 4 games:

Marion Barber: 42 Carries 179 yards 4.3 ypc 3 Td's

Julius Jones: 31 carries 67 yards 2.2 ypc 0 Td's

Total: 73 carries 246 yards 3.3 ypc 3 Td's

For the whole year they rushed for 1563 yards. Good numbers, but I think they are better than that. Neither gained 1000 yards.

You consider those good stats for 1 pretty damn good RB and one good RB over 3.5 games? I don't! Looks to me like they need to use their running threats move. Especially when T.O. is not going to be full strength. They didn't play much in week 17, but they played a lot in the other three games. 110 of those yards for Marion was in week #16. They abandon the run at times and it could cost them if they continue to do so. They ranked 17th in Rushing. They SHOULD be better than that.

You can't just look at the stats, you need to look at the situations as well. The last few games we fell behind and had to throw the ball to stay in the game, reducing the running opportunities. We're not a run-based offense so our numbers aren't going to be Minnesota- or Jacksonville-like and when you can throw the ball as well as we have been this season that's how you pick apart opposing defenses.

What? You're going to have to explain to me how the Cowboys don't use their running threat properly.

Last 4 games:

For the whole year they rushed for 1563 yards. Good numbers, but I think they are better than that. Neither gained 1000 yards.

You consider those good stats for 1 pretty damn good RB and one good RB over 3.5 games? I don't! Looks to me like they need to use their running threats move. Especially when T.O. is not going to be full strength. They didn't play much in week 17, but they played a lot in the other three games. 110 of those yards for Marion was in week #16. They abandon the run at times and it could cost them if they continue to do so. They ranked 17th in Rushing. They SHOULD be better than that.

Henderson - That's the point. They have a better record playing in cold weather, as I was told, BECAUSE they've won all these games. I don't understand your complaint there. Your saying they are only good in playing in cold weather because they have a good win/loss percentage in cold weather?

Okay so now it's The Patriots fault that they can get great players from trades because those players want to play in New England because they are a great team? What? Be makes more sense then you do. They didn't pick up Moss or Welker from Free Agency they got them through trades. Now if the trades were unbalanced then that's the other teams fault for accepting the trade, you can't seriously blame the Patriots for that.

Edited by Henderson

Henderson - That's the point. They have a better record playing in cold weather, as I was told, BECAUSE they've won all these games. I don't understand your complaint there. Your saying they are only good in playing in cold weather because they have a good win/loss percentage in cold weather?

Okay so now it's The Patriots fault that they can get great players from trades because those players want to play in New England because they are a great team? What? Be makes more sense then you do. They didn't pick up Moss or Welker from Free Agency they got them through trades. Now if the trades were unbalanced then that's the other teams fault for accepting the trade, you can't seriously blame the Patriots for that.

Players don't do the trades, I understand that....But they do have a say in the trades...Look at the T.O situation. Randy Moss didn't want to go to Green Bay. Welker didn't want to go to any other team. Ya, the other teams are dumb for trading them...But Moss was hell in Oakland, and Welker was mostly unproductive last season.

Edit: And just so you don't think I'm totally Patriot bashing, I think Randy Moss should've been MVP this season. Without Moss on that team, they wouldn't have done half of what they did.

Ugh, come one people don't we remember when the Giants were on their amazing 6 game winning streak, playing the best football they've played in years? Then Dallas trounced them. I see no reason that this won't happen again.

You want to roll with Eli Manning on the road in the playoffs, be my guest, but I perfer to stay out of the way car accidents I know are going to happen. He pulled out out in Tampa last week, but if you think thats the real Eli Manning, I feel sorry for you. I expect 3 quarters chock full of Manning Face and timely gamebreaking INTs.

Last 4 games:

You can't just look at the stats, you need to look at the situations as well. The last few games we fell behind and had to throw the ball to stay in the game, reducing the running opportunities. We're not a run-based offense so our numbers aren't going to be Minnesota- or Jacksonville-like and when you can throw the ball as well as we have been this season that's how you pick apart opposing defenses.

Apparently the passing game isn't working like it did during the season and with T.O. not in top form and Glenn not having any in game playing time don't you think they should try to use the run more which is very effective when they do use it? Whitten can only do so much and now that he will be the main focus I can't see him dominating the game like he can with T.O. in there sharing the load. Whitten can get it done, but It will have to take another Detroit performance to do so. I would put my faith in Marion Barber's hands. If they don't I can't see them doing much more than what they have been doing the past few weeks. If Eli Manning and Ahmad Bradshaw play like they have the past couple weeks then it's going to be a long day for Dallas. Giants nearly beat New England and so has Dallas. Thats why I think they have the best chance at the upset. It's not that I think Dallas will go out there and die, it's just that they are playing badly at the wrong time and the Giants are playing good at the right time.

Terry Glenn has had playing time, despite not having a catch he played against the Redskins. T.O. was in top form before he was injured and the way he came back from a worse injury for the Eagles a couple of years back gives me reason to believe he can come back and be close to if not at his best. Romo will have more weapons than he's had all year with Owens, Glenn, Crayton & Witten all playing so our passing game should be as it has been for the majority of the season. I see no reason to give Barber the ball more than we have been all season when clearly our passing game has worked tremendously well.

In the end, I don't think that the Packers-Seahawks will be that close. I think the Seattle defense will keep it close in the first half, but in the end, the Packers offense will be just too much for them to handle when they're offense produces almost goose eggs against the Packers defense.

I think San Diego is probably the hottest team in the playoffs right now and I actually like them against the Colts. Marvin Harrison or not, the Chargers defense is all over any QB playing and LT is finally out of the funk he was in at the start of the season (though 21 carries for 42 yards isn't exactly good) and Phillip Rivers is playing really well at the moment. It'll be close and it might end up being a shootout but I think the Chargers will end up winning.

So is Eli. Anyone taking odds on two straight decent games out of either one? I'm not.

With or without Freeney on the end for the Colts, Rivers will still probably choke like Mama Cass on a ham sandwich. Especially if Gates is gimpy.

Yeah, Gates being out, definitely hurts Rivers' chance of having another game like that but even with their improvement on defense, the Colts are still fairly susceptible against the run and with the best RB in the league going against them, I predict he'll have a good game. That and Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers both played really well in Gates' absence last week so they might be able to continue their hot hand for another week.

And yes, I would take those odds because Eli already did (the last 2 weeks). :shifty:

Seriously though? Yeah, I could see Rivers doing it as long as he plays very similar to the way he did last week where he either had very good protection or he got the ball out of the pocket in a very timely manner.

Romo should not be distracted unless Simpson is there and I could see him having a good game againt the Giants reguardless of win or loss. The running game will be key in this game for both teams, both can get it done in the air but the team that will get the upper hand on the running front. Whoever gets first score should win this game, but I still got to cheer for my boys. Should be the highest scoring game of the playoffs. Cowboys 45-Giants 42.

Seattle and Green Bay is probably the most forgotten game in this round of the playoffs. Packers win big. Packers 38-Seattle 14

The Colts and Chargers are ultimately the two most simular teams in the playoffs. Chargers losing Antonio Gates should be a big concern because this will really narrows the passing (and some of the run blocking) game for the Chargers. Harrison possbily coming back is what makes this a win for the Colts in my mind. Colts 21-Chargers 17.

Jaguars and Patriots, the best team in the AFC right now that has a chance at actually stopping the Pats. Jags need to be hard and quick on D as well as fast and powerful. Pats are ultimately the best team in the league this year, no one stops there roll to bowl if they beat Jags here. Jags are underdogs and underdogs have nothing to lose that is why I pick them. Jags 17-Pats 10.

The outcome of the Giants vs Cowboys game will be determined by whether or not T.O. is healthy/healthy enough. Cowboys with T.O. = Cowboys over Giants. No T.O., different story.

Seattle over GB in a close game. The Seahawks defense is underrated, just not sure if they have enough offense. If Seattle can force Favre into mistakes, Seattle wins.

Colts over Chargers...Philip Rivers has not impressed, and losing Antonio Gates doesn't help. Indy has been banged up for a few weeks already, and have still played well. And they played their absolute worst game against SD this year and still almost won that game.

Pats over Jags by two scores (10-14 points), but it won't seem that close. Reason as to why? I'd like to see the Pats advance. And we seem to have gone through the reasons why the Patriots will & won't win ad nauseum in the last few pages. If that horse isn't dead yet, it's certainly in mortal danger of expiring.

Ok, so Eli had a decent game against the Pats and Romo didn't. (2 TDs, 1 INT, not a terrible game)

Know who Tony Romo has had good games against this season? THE GIANTS. 8 TDs, 2INTs in two games against the Giants, and thats without Terry Glenn. TO will play and TO murdered the Giants secondary last game when he was the only person they had to cover deep. Now Glenn is playing and he's going to draw coverage, or he'll burn them too. And even if they do manage to effectively cover Glenn and TO, keeping in mind they've yet to show they can effectively cover JUST TO, thats going to spread out the defense and Witten/Crayton/Barber will tear through them.

Edited by Maxx