Be Your Own PET

ClaRK! Kent

Right.

So, I was going to post this in the "what music did you listen to?" thread, or even in the Music thread that YI started up, and then I figured that some people might not notice it in there, and that would be an absolute travesty. Here's the deal -

Be Your Own PET make your favourite band look absolutely rubbish. They really fucking do. I got their album in the post today, I've been listening to it for about 3 hours now non-stop, and I can safely say it's not only the best album I've heard all year, it actually blows anything 2006 came up with out of the water, methinks. It's just primal, balls-to-the-wall garage rock with a really frenetic, pacy energy to it and a Hell of a lot of soul, whilst also mixing in these punk influences and really screeching around the place like it's had one too many at a teenage house party and wants to start a game of naked Twister.

The band itself are amazing, I've been in love with them since the middle of 2005 when I first heard their single 'Damn Damn Leash', which sadly isn't on here. Their singer, Jemima Abegg, is the natural successor to Karen O, and she can actually sing as well as doing the yelpy thing which puts her above Karen O as well. She's got this great, youthful vibe about her and when she drops into her 'valley girl doo-wop' on certain songs your heart will melt in your ribcage, I swear to God. I've seen them live, too, and she makes the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' live show look positively tame, that one. She's only like 18 too. The rest of the group are a bit overshadowed by the frontwoman, as happens, but they bring the musicianship - well, the garage-rock riffs and the mad drumming - and on songs like 'Ouch' and 'Wildcat' they kick ass and take names all around.

Some of the best songs on here are their biggest hit, in the UK at least, 'Adventure', as well as 'Wildcat', 'Girls on TV', and the wonderfully-named songs 'Bicycle, Bicycle, You Are My Bicycle' and 'We Will Vacation, You Will Be My Parasol'. So get those, maybe, and if you like it you should buy the album. Hell, just buy the album anyway, take my word for it - you'll love it.

Here is a picture of the album cover, so when you go into HMV/Virgin, you'll know exactly what to look for. (Y)

BEyourownpetalbum.jpg

And because I am nice, here is a picture of Be Your Own PET doing what they do best - namely, rocking the socks off of a live crowd and making your favourite band look utterly pants in the process.

be_your_own_pet1.jpg

Enjoy, motherfuckers.

They're OK but certainly not near the hype they get. They're above average and better than most but still, I can think of bands I'd rather listen to.

I'm much the same as Cloudy, they're alright, but nothing special. I found the album incredibly boring and repetitive by the end.

And you really don't think Karen O can sing? Hmm. 'Maps', 'Modern Romance', 'Turn Into'...you get the picture.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, they are alright (Although I used to despise them as female singers generally annoy me greatly) but there are many far better bands out there and even better albums that have come out over the past couple of years.