Best song ever?

YI

Last night me and my friends got talking about what we would say the best song ever was. Of course there's the 'obvious' choices that people brought up, "Let It Be", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Billie Jean", "Wonderwall", "Immigrant Song", "Cars" (......yeah.....and he wouldn't shut the fuck about it being the GREATEST SONG, HANDS DOWN!!! Either), "Free Bird", "I Get Around", "Every Breath You Take", "All Shook Up", "I Want You Back"...yadda....yadda...yadda...I belive "Miami" got a mention as well (I love Will Smith as much as the next guy, but, no way).

Now, for me it's difficult. I really like the 'classics', hell there's certain classics I love, but if I had to choose 1 song, it'd be a contemporary choice. And it's a weird choice as well, seeing as it's by a Belgian electro artist. Granted it features on of my favourite vocalists of all time, who I'm a total fanboy for, but this song just really goes to prove that Ben Gibbard can seriously turn anything into gold. It's 'simple' enough, it's chilled, very laid back, but it's just full of so much emotion, that whilst being contained in this gentle songs just screams out at you from Gibbard's singing. I just love this song so damn much. It's proof that 'simple' can be good.

MY FAVOURITE SONG EVER: "Couches In Alleys" by Styrofoam (Ft. Ben Gibbard)

I do feel like the video's totally melodramatic and cheesy, but so what. It also skips like 30+ seconds. So all you fucks are going to have to get hold of a proper version to bask in the awesome'ness.

I still can't help but feel dirty for picking that over, say, "Let It Be" or "Free Bird".

Okay, girls and boys. Favourite song ever. And you can only pick 1!!!!

Okay...maybe I should have entitled this "Favourite Song Ever". But so what. Your favourite is surely what you think is the "Best", anyway.

Edited by YI

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Winds of Change" by the Scorpions. It's a song with so much history and emotion in it. It's got a lot sentimental value to me, being that it's the first song I can remember, and I actually knew all the words to it at 3 years old. Seeing it live was a real achievement for me, something I don't think I'll ever forget it. It reminds me of simpler, happier times. *cue Berlin Wall gag*

"Let It Be" is awesome. And "Wonderwall" is nowhere near best song ever material, but it's a good sing-a-long song. And when you ask your average north-eastern 20 year old what his favourite song is, he's going to say something he can sing to drunk.

Rage Against The Machine - "Bullet in the Head"

The best of the hard-rocking RAAAAAAAAGE to me. Sure, it doesn't have the catchiest chorus, but it does have the most biting riff Morello has ever done, and it is awesome.

The best song ever? That's a tough choice, but "Champagne Supernova" is up there. I'd also have to mention "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield. Heck, now that I think about it there are way too many to even try to pick one. I could throw up "Shooting Star" by Bad Company off of the top of my head as well.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The best song ever? That's a tough choice, but "Champagne Supernova" is up there. I'd also have to mention "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield. Heck, now that I think about it there are way too many to even try to pick one. I could throw up "Shooting Star" by Bad Company off of the top of my head as well.

For me, the top contenders are "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye, and "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, though there's a long list of songs I would consider to be near that level but not quite good enough and I'm probably forgetting a couple.

Also, the best song that Michael Jackson was involved in was "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5. That was pop at its very best right there.