DS? Sonic? RPG? Bioware?

Vilge Duin

BioWare Creating Sonic RPG for DS

Legendary role-playing game developer working on a Sonic title for 2008.

by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, June 21, 2007 - Mark this one up as something totally unexpected - BioWare and SEGA have announced they're collaborating on an exclusive role-playing game for Nintendo DS starring Sonic the Hedgehog.

BioWare is best known for its console RPGs such as Jade Empire as well as Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox. The company was first noticed by gamers for its work on the Balder's Gate PC series.

Currently without a name, this Sonic RPG is set for release in 2008. Simon Jeffery, president and COO of SEGA America said: "BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world. Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages."

Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare said: "We're thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons." Meanwhile, Ray Muzyka, CEO of BioWare added: "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure."

That's all for now but we'll keep you updated as more news filters in.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I can't wait for the first previews and such to come out.

And Bioware are known for researching their product into the obscure pores of existance, so I expect practically anyone who has ever appeared in a Sonic game to be in this one.

Still...the combat system will be weird to say the least.

I'd have lapped up KOTOR3, Jade Empire 2 or Mass Effect 2, but if this is what they want to do, they must have some pretty good ideas for it.

• 1 year later...

So, searching back to check if there was already a topic for Chronicles, I found this.

Got the game on Thursday, and playing it on/off since then. I've not got that far, but it's already very good, and the difficulty level certainly isn't too easy from what I've played; overall, it's very good, even if the stylus controls can get a little annoying (it's hard to perform some POW moves, especially the sliding ones...)