Sept. 11th, give the hip-hop game chemotherapy

Lowerdeck

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But... you have to admit. Robin Thicke is great. Really.

Anyways, I think this really isn't about who's better, it's about fighting all the torrents and Limewires of the world. Fans hear about this, and decide, "Why not, it's just 10 bucks. And besides, ____ is way better than ____." They want people to get out there and buy their CDs, and both are going to receive a HUGE sales boost because of it, I think.

Lolz it's just a way of them shifting albums. It's a really smart way to encourage people to pick a side and to buy an album on release.

Yea, problem is it will probably do more harm than good for Curtis.

I see Graduation selling 300k+ in the US on release, and Fif selling 100k.

I can't see that huge of a gap, or Kanye selling that many in one week. Maybe 200k for Kanye, 50 getting 150k. Dare I say even half that for both?

I think T.I.'s overrated. Really do. His old stuff was alright, that Trap Muzic CD was hot, and I thought he was going to breakthrough the rap game. He did, but I've heard people call him top 10 all-time, sometimes even top 5 all-time. I see him barely even top 25 on my list.

Like Lil Wayne.

Yes, Lil Wayne is A LOT better than T.I. And don't get it twisted I like Weezy. He's filthy for sure, but once again, top 5 all-time? Lyrically he's great. In time, he could, and likely will be one of the best ever. I don't see him ever topping Tupac. He releases a hell of a lot of mixtapes, but most is on already used beats. He doesn't release his own solo CD's enough IMO. He really only released Tha Carter I and II by himself IIRC. The rest are mixtapes, or with Birdman. Nas released eight solo albums, Jay-Z released eleven. Hell, Tupac released six albums when he was alive. Add with six posthumous albums, thats twelve damn albums! Lil Wayne's released five so far, even though like I said, the first three aren't noticeable. I'm just saying, these guys like T.I. and Lil Wayne need some more credibility releasing more albums, spending more time in the rap game, before being called some of the greatest of all times. They can't be called great with talent alone.

I think T.I.'s overrated. Really do. His old stuff was alright, that Trap Muzic CD was hot, and I thought he was going to breakthrough the rap game. He did, but I've heard people call him top 10 all-time, sometimes even top 5 all-time. I see him barely even top 25 on my list.

Like Lil Wayne.

Yes, Lil Wayne is A LOT better than T.I. And don't get it twisted I like Weezy. He's filthy for sure, but once again, top 5 all-time? Lyrically he's great. In time, he could, and likely will be one of the best ever. I don't see him ever topping Tupac. He releases a hell of a lot of mixtapes, but most is on already used beats. He doesn't release his own solo CD's enough IMO. He really only released Tha Carter I and II by himself IIRC. The rest are mixtapes, or with Birdman. Nas released eight solo albums, Jay-Z released eleven. Hell, Tupac released six albums when he was alive. Add with six posthumous albums, thats twelve damn albums! Lil Wayne's released five so far, even though like I said, the first three aren't noticeable. I'm just saying, these guys like T.I. and Lil Wayne need some more credibility releasing more albums, spending more time in the rap game, before being called some of the greatest of all times. They can't be called great with talent alone.

But I always tell everyone, if anyone could've done it, it was Nas.

Once he started changing it up, and going a with more mainstream sound, instead of staying with that underground feel like the Illmatic and It Was Written CD's, I knew he wouldn't be the next Tupac. Once I heard Hip Hop Is Dead... I knew that we wouldn't get another Tupac. He kinda broke away more and more of that lyrical flow, and a little more into putting out singles. I'm not saying he sold out. But I am saying, he isn't the same Nas when I hear songs like "The Message" "Life's A Bitch" "Memory Lane" "The World Is Yours" and "Halftime" it makes me remember of what great music was like. I don't feel all that great about his newer albums. But, Nas is the closest second we have, and I think, ever will see.

But I always tell everyone, if anyone could've done it, it was Nas.

Once he started changing it up, and going a with more mainstream sound, instead of staying with that underground feel like the Illmatic and It Was Written CD's, I knew he wouldn't be the next Tupac. Once I heard Hip Hop Is Dead... I knew that we wouldn't get another Tupac. He kinda broke away more and more of that lyrical flow, and a little more into putting out singles. I'm not saying he sold out. But I am saying, he isn't the same Nas when I hear songs like "The Message" "Life's A Bitch" "Memory Lane" "The World Is Yours" and "Halftime" it makes me remember of what great music was like. I don't feel all that great about his newer albums. But, Nas is the closest second we have, and I think, ever will see.