Mp3s: A Sign of Musical Apocalypse

MalaCloudy Black

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/327...mp3sound13.html

With the CD on its way out and computer files taking over as the primary means of hearing recorded music, the artificial audio of MP3s is quickly becoming the primary way people listen to music. Apple already has sold 100 million iPods, and more than a billion MP3 files are traded every month through the Internet.

But the music contained in these computer files represents less than 10 percent of the original music on the CDs. In its journey from CD to MP3 player, the music has been compressed by eliminating data that computer analysis deems redundant, squeezed down until it fits through the Internet pipeline.

When even the full files on the CDs contain less than half the information stored to studio hard drives during recording, these compressed MP3s represent a minuscule fraction of the actual recording. For purists, it's the Dark Ages of recorded sound.

"You can get used to awful," says record producer Phil Ramone. "You can appreciate nothing. We've done it with fast food."

I'd like to see how they figured that out. >_> Sounds like some sensationalist BS.

EDIT: Also, I fail to see how "hearing through a screen door" is a bad thing. I mean, I get what they're going for, but we've had screen doors for years now and the quality of sound when speaking to someone without opening the screen door is just as good as if you'd open the door and talk to them..

Edited by Clearly Cloudy

It's not BS. I mean, songs from itunes are what, 128kbs?

That's pretty bad. I mean, even before Flac and Variable Bitrates I was ripping at 256.

I don't have amazing hearing or anything, and I can tell a 128 from a 256.

It's not BS. I mean, songs from itunes are what, 128kbs?

That's pretty bad. I mean, even before Flac and Variable Bitrates I was ripping at 256.

I don't have amazing hearing or anything, and I can tell a 128 from a 256.

But what rate they're ripped at is the fault of whoever ripped it, isn't it? I mean, I suppose you can't do anything about iTunes and 128kbs but I don't usually download anything under 192kbs.

EDIT: Fixed typos, god everyone else's stupid is rubbing off

Edited by Clearly Cloudy

I'm not clicking the article link because I'm at work, but it's talking about how digital music files are going to replace CD's, and they're right.. they probably will. And if music becomes entirely digital, apple already has the monopoly, and it has decided to sell at 128. Unless they decide to change that pretty soon, that is going to be the standard, because your average iPod owner doesn't know the difference. I don't like to buy digital files for that reason, I want the best quality I can get, that way I can do what I want with it. I can have a flac copy on a 200gig hardrive, or I can have a 256 on my forty gig mp3 player, or I can have a 128 if I decide to buy a 1gig player. I want it to be my choice, not apples.

The few times I've been forced to download MP3s (Download only singles and the like) I've gone straight for http://www.bleep.com who offer... [shill]

: HIGH QUALITY MP3, NO DRM!

- Unlike other services, Bleep does not require you to install any proprietary software.

- Listen to all tracks IN FULL for free! – The player stops after 30 seconds, just click play again or anywhere on the Waveform to continue.

- Bleep tracks are standard Mp3 files that are compatible with all computers, ipods and Mp3 players (unlike AAC format (with Fairplay DRM) offered on iTunes or Microsoft’s WMA format)

- Bleep tracks are very high quality, encoded with the renowned codec LAME using the ‘--alt-preset standard’ Variable Bit Rate setting. This uses a higher bitrate for encoding loud sections of a track, and a lower bitrate on quieter sections – it is widely acknowledged to give the best sound quality while maintaining manageable file sizes. [EDIT] - since 01st January 2006, all new files have been encoded using the codec ‘--alt-preset insane’ which produces 320kbps file of the highest quality possible for MP3. [/shill]

>_>

That is true, it's a bit more convenient than a Walkman (lol, remember those ancient things?) or a portable disc player. If you're out at the gym, then you're in a case of beggars can't be choosers if you want to listen to your own music. I do most of my exercise at home so I have my turntable handy.

I'm the same way though, I like having the cd/vinyl covers. They just add personality. Hell, I even keep my cd covers in front of my cd's when they are stashed in cd books, as opposed to just the disc. Though I don't think CD books are very good for the discs.