2007 Super Series

KJE

Super Series  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Series?

• Canada
    • Russia

Is anyone stoked about this series at all? Although Canada - Russia will be great and the anniversary of the Summit Series and all, but I'd have loved it if it was Canada - US. Still, though, this will be much better than the Canada/Russia challenge that gets put on every year. Russia actually has a chance of winning.

On a side note, it will be great to see Peter Loubardias and Pierre McGuire together. People rant on Pierre all the time, but both of these guys are passionate about the game and juniors in general (not that Gord Miller isn't), so it will be sweet to hear them together.

First game is in about seven hours on TSN.

August 27 - 9:00 a.m. EST - Canada @ Russia (TSN / RDS)

August 29 - 9:00 a.m. EST - Canada @ Russia (RSN / RDS)

August 31 - 8:00 a.m. EST - Canada @ Russia (RSN / RDS)

September 1 - 6:00 a.m. EST - Canada @ Russia (TSN / RDS)

September 4 - 8:00 p.m. EST - Russia @ Canada (TSN / RDS)

September 5 - 8:00 p.m. EST - Russia @ Canada (TSN / RDS)

September 7 - 10:00 p.m. EST - Russia @ Canada (RSN / RDS)

September 9 - 8:00 p.m. EST - Russia @ Canada (RSN / RDS)

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and will be waking up at god awful hours to watch all eight games.

The Russians have brought up a far better all around team than in previous years, but in doing so, have seemingly forgotten the game that made them a Hockey Superpower to begin with. If they can get their shit together, this is going to be a hell of a series to watch.

There may not be much riding on this series, but it will help will the Trade Agreement, and it's a great way to get a look at a lot of young Canadian players who may play this year in the NHL, and if not this year, within the next two to three.

Also, a good look at Russian stars who will be in the NHL within the next five years.

Cherapanov and Varlamov, especially, I've enjoyed watching. The former having amazing defensive capabilities for a Russian forward, and the latter being a tremendous goalie who may well be the man in Washington when Kolzig steps down.

Russia dominated (in the shot department, anyways - the game seemed closer than what the shots indicated) game one, but Canada murdered them in game two. Canada still has a 2-0 lead. Enjoyable games, and there seems to be some emotion behind it now. But like Gabe, I'll still be waking up at the hours to watch the series. 4 AM for me on Saturday.

Guest Grapehead

Just watched the 8-1 beating Canada dished out, which was exciting. This series, to me, is really more about me getting a better look at the offensive abilities of some of these kids. I haven't had much interest in the "stakes" of the series, as we all know Canada dominates the junior ranks. Gagner is tearing shit up, he's playing amazing hockey at every position of the ice. Meanwhile Bernier is looking solid, very calm and athletic goalie, and he will be impressive in a few years in the LA jersey. Turris is also one of my main interests in this series, as it's my first chance to see him play, and he's definitely looked great, not sure if his stats are as impressive as his actual abilities and potential, but I've seen a lot of great plays.

I don't really mind. I mean, yeah it sucked, but as petty as it is, oh, and I'll admit it's petty, when you take a closer look at our records, you were a sub 500 team. 40-42. Just because TEH RAYZOR blew enough leads for you to get the bitch point for losing doesn't make you a good team.

And before you jump on me, no, I'm not calling Montreal a contender team, I'm calling it a team that at least finished 500 or better (42-40).