2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw it...wow, extremely horrifying. I'm glad Richard Zednik is going to be okay, but that had to be gruesome to people who were in attendance. I too am shocked that this doesn't happen more often, but at the same time I'm happy that it's a rare occurance.

I hate to imagine the pain Zednik was in skating off the ice.

Edited by Magus978

Guest Grapehead

Care to back that up? Corvo was our fourth defenseman, at best, most times he was fifth... Eaves hasn't played a full season for us because he's inconsistant. Stillman is fairly consistant, so he's a step up from Eaves. Commodore is a big defensive defenseman, and in my opinion a decent upgrade from Corvo.

It's a win/win deal. The kind that should happen more often.

Ottawa wins in the short term, because Stillman and Commodore will give them depth running to the Cup... but long term, Carolina wins, because Corvo is currently a 4th or 5th defenseman, but he's got all the tools to be a top pairing guy. Eaves needs to find consistency, but he'll fit in nicely with the Hurricanes.

I like the deal for both sides. It's too bad they couldn't have swapped Emery for Grahame.

Regarding the Zednik incident. That was f***** scary. Especially when he got to the bench, then when the trainers had the towel on him, his body seemed like it just buckled or went limp all of a sudden. Glad to hear he's doing okay.

Note: It's classy for the networks (mostly The Score) to not show the cut replays. Good on them.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, did anyone see the ANA/DET game yesterday? A CLEAN game tying goal was disallowed. What a bullshit call by the refs... Holmstrom was screening him but he didn't even touch Giggy. Wake up!

Edited by wCwCreator

The trade between the Senators and Hurricanes helps the Senators in the short term. Corvo was a good offensive defenceman, but he made WAY too many defensive lapses for my liking and on that team, they already have Redden and Meszaros who can bang from the point. Patrick Eaves is young, quick, and has some offensive upside, but the Senators want to win now.

Stillman is an upgrade on Eaves. I think combined with Mike Fisher on the second line, the Senators will finally have some effective second line scoring. Commodore adds another strong, physical defenceman to the blueline. Remember how the Ducks beat the Senators up in the finals last year? They needed to get another defenceman that can take the hit and not be effected.

Guest Grapehead

Corvo is already 30 though, which means his prime years are on the downswing now... Commodore is only 28 which means he's just hitting his defensive prime(based on the average prime years for a defenseman anyways). I do see the deal as pretty even, but the Senators did pull a win here, for the short term, but Commodore(if he were to stick around) would still provide for the future. I've always liked Stillman, so I'm pretty psyched to have him on my team now. I always had a liking for Eaves too, but after being inconsistant for so long it was getting frustrating. The kid has potential, and if he realizes it with Carolina then he would end up being the key player of this trade. Really for Carolina to win out of this they need to bring the best out of these two new guys, Corvo is a little more proven than Eaves though, so they shouldn't have too much trouble with Corvo.

Corvo is already 30 though, which means his prime years are on the downswing now... Commodore is only 28 which means he's just hitting his defensive prime(based on the average prime years for a defenseman anyways). I do see the deal as pretty even, but the Senators did pull a win here, for the short term, but Commodore(if he were to stick around) would still provide for the future. I've always liked Stillman, so I'm pretty psyched to have him on my team now. I always had a liking for Eaves too, but after being inconsistant for so long it was getting frustrating. The kid has potential, and if he realizes it with Carolina then he would end up being the key player of this trade. Really for Carolina to win out of this they need to bring the best out of these two new guys, Corvo is a little more proven than Eaves though, so they shouldn't have too much trouble with Corvo.