2007/2008 Hockey Thread

I'm going to go ahead and go... hot damn. Wow, for a team that's come back I believe 3 times when trailing after any period, to come back from 5-0 in the middle of the game to win 6-5 in a shootout... that's impressive. First time in franchise history that Montreal has erased a 5-0 deficit.

Amazing.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take the Canucks, mainly because I figure all the Canadian teams are gonna make the finals 5 years in a row, fail then the Leafs take the 6th and become victors.

But if the Penguins make it, I may have to kill myself due to the second Finals in a row I wouldn't watch.

Well it starts with Ryder putting in 2, then scoring another 2 within 9 seconds of each other. Throw in some dominant third period play in all aspects of the game, a couple of lucky bounces, a few saves and Alex Kovalev scoring while falling down... well frankly I'm just at a loss, really. How the hell Montreal did that I'll never understand. I don't think I could ever forget that game.

The crowd was insane, I mean shit, when they're going ballistic for winning a defensive zone faceoff, you know they're having an impact on the game. The atmosphere in the arena was apparently beyond words. My brother went to the game, I was invited, but instead was out for dinner with my girlfriend...

As far as excitement goes, game of the year from that standpoint. That's the first time in 99 years of Habs lore that they have ever erased a 5-0 deficit.

Another HUGE deal today! :shifty:

The Flyers, who are hurting for d-men, which is why the picked up Modry from LA... send Defenseman Jim Vandermeer to Calgary for a 3rd rounder in 2009. So Philly loses Ben Eager for Jim Vandermeer, who they ship out for a 3rd round pick 2 drafts from now. It just doesn't make any sense to me... unless of course they've got an inside track on someone like a Brian Campbell.

I was just watching NHL On The Fly, and my mum asked why the refs didn't stop a fight. I joked that it was becaus e Dion Phaneuf was getting punched, and we all need more of that. But we passed it off as a "it's part of the game" argument, and when that wasn't accepted, we struggled.

The thing I always tell people, is that some fights need to happen. They absolutely need to. Two guys drop the gloves and settle their differences, and it cuts down the amount of Chris Simon-type incidents that happen.

It's the same thing with the officiating. When the refs don't call anything for most of the game, and then call something minor at a pivotal point, the team that was called is likely to become aggressive if they give up a goal on that penalty kill.

I pity the fool who has to sit through NHL on the Fly!

NHL higher-ups believe, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, that a significant portion of Americans would never be hockey fans unless fighting remained intact.

I pity the fool who thinks I would badmouth anything featuring Jim Van Horne for any reason other than that I couldn't come up with a better way to incorporate 'I pity the fool' into that last post!

Well this is strange...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080220...88/CPACTUALITES

It's in french but it's saying that the Habs have ordered equipment for Hossa. While they stress that it in no way means a deal is done, and that at any time a GM could simply say, no, I don't want this anymore. It does mean that they *might* be close on something. Apparently the Habs did this 2 years ago for Khabibulin and Aucoin which would have sent Ribeiro, Dagenais and Theo the other way, but the deal was nixed when Aucoin broke his ankle. It says that the names involved are Ryder, Streit and a Pick/Prospect.

I thought it was interesting to see La Presse report it because they're not usually on the crazy train, but that deal is just far too low for Hossa, ok so Streit is probably one of the most under rated players in the league and is definately the best bargain player in the league, and we all know what Ryder is capable of, but really... is 30 goals and maybe a 60-65 point a year offensive defenseman plus a pick worth Hossa?

That's too much for Hossa.

Hossa probably won't re-sign with whoever he's traded to, opting instead to look to the free agent market for the biggest offer he can get. Anything more than a late round draft pick, a minor leaguer and an expendable roster player is too much.

Last I checked Buffalo beat Toronto last night. To think about a month ago both teams were tied and near the bottom of the east. Buffalo is now tied for 6th and Toronto is still in 14th. Ive noticed that all the Leaf fans on this board have not posted much lately. Did anyone else see the empty seats at the acc last night. I have never seen that many on a game night.