2007/2008 Hockey Thread

The Sundin era isn't over.

And I knew deep down that Forsberg would go to Colorado. Thats a huge addition, great insurance in case Sakic or Stastny aren't 100% going into the playoffs. Considering that the Avalanche didn't need to give up anything except money, taking the risk to get Foppa is worth it. A one year deal is a great move.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Kouleas just talked about how he doesn't like that players can sign at any time of the year, and while I understand the frustration at times, the only time I've ever felt that way really was with Scott Niedermayer.

If a player is a legitimate free agent, he shouldn't have to be signed and commited to play by any date prior to say, the Trade Deadline.

If a player has a contract, he should not be able to sit out part of the season and then play the rest. Any player under contract should either be on a roster by October 1st, or have decided to sit out the season by October 1st, no exceptions.

With that, Selanne and Forsberg would have been fine doing what they're doing... whereas Niedermayer either would have had to play the whole season, or sat out the entire season. There really shouldn't be any middle ground allowed.

EDIT: 13 of Colorado's 19 remaining games are against Northwest Division teams. Forsberg is going to be banged around more than Jasmin St. Claire at a movie shoot. It'll be a miracle if he makes it to the end of the season, given his history with injuries.

Edited by Comrade Greeting Card

Steve Kouleas just talked about how he doesn't like that players can sign at any time of the year, and while I understand the frustration at times, the only time I've ever felt that way really was with Scott Niedermayer.

If a player is a legitimate free agent, he shouldn't have to be signed and commited to play by any date prior to say, the Trade Deadline.

If a player has a contract, he should not be able to sit out part of the season and then play the rest. Any player under contract should either be on a roster by October 1st, or have decided to sit out the season by October 1st, no exceptions.

With that, Selanne and Forsberg would have been fine doing what they're doing... whereas Niedermayer either would have had to play the whole season, or sat out the entire season. There really shouldn't be any middle ground allowed.

What if he was hurt? Then he'd be on the injured reserve, he'd be on the roster October 1st, and be held against the team in terms of numbers of players would he not?

Injured players don't count against the Salary Cap? I'm not sure how that works.

Niedermayer sitting out didn't coutn against the Cap, and that's what I don't like. He was under contract, though possibly retired, and when he decided that he was ready to play, then he started counting against the cap.

They don't count towards the number of roster players you have?

Something needs to be done though. It's not right, and it's going to keep happening if they don't snuff it out soon. Niedermayer wasn't hurt. He was contemplating whether or not he wanted to play. He publicly stated that.

What if Sundin signed a contract extension, and then decided not to play next year until December or January?

Or similarly, what if Triple H decided he wanted to be the main focus on WWE TV, but only wanted to work once or twice a month? It's just not right. You've got guys busting their asses, one or two of whom are likely to be demoted or moved if that guy decides he wants to play eventually. This should all be done by October 1st.

Niedermayer DID count against the cap. If he has formally retired, he would have been cleared because of his age. Brian Burke was happy to let him sit and take the cap hit because he could get someone if Niedermayer stayed away and if he came back, then he just got one of the best d-men in the league.

He did count against the cap.

Then what was the kafuffle about having to make cap space when Scotty made his triumphant return to Anaheim?

Or wait... wait... was that about next season? I'm pretty sure that a team still has to be under the cap for all coming seasons, and not just the current one, correct?

America Fuck Yeah!

Vesa Toskala was great in goal and the Senators look like a pretty bad hockey team all of a sudden. Mats Sundin had a good game, Darcy Tucker has 8 goals in 8 games and Toronto may have some momentum right now. Sadly, 8th and 9th played tonight and went to overtime.