2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That woman in your sig looks like Jaromir Jagr. :shifty:

Seriously... the Penguins are on a fucking roll. 6-0 in the playoffs so far. They're really good at drawing penalties, and though they may embellish some, I've yet to see them try to draw a penalty where there wasn't one. The closest I've seen was Sykora grabbing Drury's stick when Drury got called today. Even then, he wasn't trying to draw a penalty. It was a run of the mill play that the refs just happened to call incorrectly.

Fleury's stepped up his game, and so has Hossa. The rest of the team is great, as expected.

I still think that Pascal Dupuis was a better pickup than Hossa though. He just fits in a lot better. Hopefully Hossa can really break out. He's been better, but he looks tentative about things.

I totally agree about Dupuis. The guy is all over the place and he's constantly getting his name called.

I was worried the Rangers would be too much for the Pens but that's definitely not the case. While I fully expect the Penguins to drop at least one game in MSG (they've yet to win there this season and I wouldn't be shocked if the Rangers take both of the games in MSG) I can't see how anyone could say the Rangers are the better team.

And yet Rangers fans and Crosby haters (mainly Flyers fans which explains it all really) will consistently claim there's some kind of conspiracy going on to get Crosby's team to the Cup. I thought New Yorkers were above that.

But anyway, today's game was fun. Jordan Staal is a fucking monster and when he grows into his body he'll be a Hal Gill sized forward with All-Star skills. Incredible.

Well that wouldn't surprise me, but to say that there's a conspiracy is fucking laughable.

I'm sure the NHL would risk their own ruin, and not to mention a huge anti-trust lawsuit to put the Penguins over a team who plays in the NHL's largest market.

The reffing in Detroit has been horrific. So many non-calls on Detroit, and yet the exact same thing gets called on Colorado. I'm not pissed that the Avs got called so much, but if you're claling them on the visiting team, you call them on the home team too.

As much as I hate to say it, that's playoff hockey. Since the time I can remember watching NHL playoffs, the reffing is always questionable at the very least. Maybe it's just me, the reffing in this post season as a whole has been some of the worst that I can remember. One shift the refs are "Lettin' 'em play", then on the very next shift they're blowing down house league penalties. They filtered a lot of the shit out of the second round, as most the usual poor reffing suspects are not being used now.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I still think the Rangers are the better team and fully expect them to show it in game three.

I don't think they have anywhere near the depth the Penguins do. The Pens 3rd and 4th lines have been dominating the Rangers.

Shanahan has yet to show up, Jagr looks exhausted, no one takes Avery seriously, they're a team in trouble.

But I fully expect them to win at least one of the next two in MSG. If only because of the Pens MSG-ineptitude.

I definitely agree, I'm just so used to seeing the refs throw common sense go out the window come playoff time.

More on Wings/Avs, I was cheering for Detroit because they've been my backup/Western Conference team for an eternity now, but I hadn't even started paying attention to them until this round. Even now, with my two favorite Red Wing alums long gone, Sergei and Stevie, I've come to realize there isn't much left on this team for me to support. As players, I still like Ozzy and Lidstrom, but meh.

On the other hand, Sakic is my third favorite player of all time (one of the only two bobbleheads I will ever own), so why not, I hope the Avs win just to see Burnaby Joe raise the cup one more time and ride off into the sunset.

Flyers bad boy Steve Downie got the crowd going again near the end of the first period, tripping Price behind the net and attracting several Canadiens as a melee ensued. The crowd once again showed its IQ level when it shouted ``U-S-A, U-S-A,'' during the fight. Their hero, Downie, is from Newmarket, Ont.

Haha, gotta love when you're reading TSN and that pops up. Seriously, Flyers fans looked like a bunch of brain dead morons tonight.

Flyers bad boy Steve Downie got the crowd going again near the end of the first period, tripping Price behind the net and attracting several Canadiens as a melee ensued. The crowd once again showed its IQ level when it shouted ``U-S-A, U-S-A,'' during the fight. Their hero, Downie, is from Newmarket, Ont.

Haha, gotta love when you're reading TSN and that pops up. Seriously, Flyers fans looked like a bunch of brain dead morons tonight.

Tonight?!?!? When don't they look like brain dead morons?