2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Kitchener beats Belleville 5-2 to take a 2-0 lead in the OHL final. Then their fans set one of our jerseys on fire. Classy town, Belleville.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Burns isn't even the first former Leafs coach named Pat I'd bring in. <_<

Although my pipe dream is Peter DeBoer, but most speculation has him going to Atlanta after he wins another Memorial Cup this year.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Montreal is out, and I have already seen people saying "Carbo has got to go!".

Carbo is a huge reason why the team was so good during the regular season. They had a lot of young talent, and that is one reason why they struggled a bit in the post season. For Montreal, this is still a successful season. Entering the season, expectations were low. Entering the playoffs, expectations were high. Really, this is probably as far as this team was destined to go - next season they should be able to go further with the development of Price and the young players in front of him.

Montreal played a really great season, and a mediocre playoffs. Their complete inability to clear the puck out of their own zone was a recurring theme in the Boston series and was essentially our undoing in the Philly series. The team that put out an all together far more complete effort on the ice did not win the series, but the team that was able to capitalize on their chances when they had them did, and that makes Philly the better team. Price gave up 3 softies in the second and there ya go, story of the series.

Carbo should win the Jack Adams, and next season should be even better. But apparently A. Kostitsyn was offered a 4 million dollar per year deal from some Russian team :s

Canada's got some spiffy new white jerseys there. I really like those.

1-0 Canada, early on with a goal from Patrick Sharp. Good stuff.

1-0 Pittsburgh halfway through game five right now too. It's been too good a game for me to switch over to Canada/Latvia, but I'm keeping my eye on that game during commercials.

Mike fucking Green. :o

Greener has been just tremendous this season. If he can improve his game in the defensive end, he could wind up being one of the best all around defensemen in the entire NHL

Roszival takes his third penalty of the second period with just over 3 minutes left. Tom Renney really needs to sit him down and talk to him. He's getting frustrated and making stupid plays.

The Penguins though, are playing an awesome game. Pittsburgh and Philly is going to be a hell of a series.

Carbo should win the Jack Adams,

Bwahaha no. Compared to Babcock and Boudreau, why is there any reason to give Carbo the award? You did worse than Detroit this year, the overall improvement in Washington was light years greater than Montreal and you got crushed by Philadelphia. Carbonneau winning would be a fucking travesty

Montreal wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs this year. They won the Eastern Conference and went to the second round of the playoffs.

Washington had a good season, but were also defeated by Philadelphia. They won an extremely weak division. Boudreau is a great coach, but the battle wasn't nearly as uphill for him.

As far as Babcock goes... he may well be the best coach in the league, but it's hard to say that for sure. I mean, a chef who can make a five star dinner with leftover chinese food, horse shit and moldy cheese deserves a lot more recognition than a chef who can do it with the freshest and best ingredients possible.

With that in mind, if Carbo doesn't win it, I will be incredibly surprised.

I know he's not a front runner, but for the amount of injuries the Colorado Avalanche had to key players through out the season, Joel Quenneville should be respectfully considered. The Avs didn't have terribly notable year, but they were ravaged this season and still managed to make 6th spot. It's easy to look at Montreal and Washington, see the improvement or Babcock and having the best team in the league. You want to talk about good coaching under the circumstances of key players being out of the lineup, Joel is the man.

EDIT: Was he even announced as up for the Jack Adams? I don't know.

EDIT: Shit, I thought four guys usually made the cut for Coach of the Year.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Rangers killed almost 3 minutes of a penalty to start overtime. Pittsburgh needs to keep the pressure on hard here, otherwise they'll end up having to weather a storm and hope they can get some chances.

The tension is killing me.

EDIT:

FUCK YEAH! HOSSA!

It's over.

The Rangers put up a hell of a fight, the last two games especially. They should hold their heads high after the season they put together.

Edited by Gabriel

Quenneville made a few mistakes late in the year that's tarnished my opinion of him. I love the way he handled the goalies this year, which let Theo come back into his own - but he fouled up in the playoffs by starting Theo twice in a row when he was sick, and it didnt even give us a chance to win those games.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Man do I ever love the International Hockey Theme that TSN uses.

Agreed. When they won NHL rights back from Sportsnet a few years ago, I remember hoping they'd use the international theme for both. I also like their baseball theme, which they seem determined to cut as much as possible. :(

Also, I saw Peter DeBoer today at my cousin's first communion. He had to duck out early to get to the rink :D

And Carbo is definitely my choice for the Jack Adams. Washington barely made the playoffs, and Ovechkin had a lot more to do with what they accomplished than Boudreau did. And I'm just bitter about Quennenville. <_<

Bruce Boudreau did an amazing job in Washington, but Washington squeezed into the playoffs by winning the really weak division. Montreal was supposed to miss the playoffs just like the Capitals were supposed to, but they finish at the top of the Eastern Conference. Heck, I still look at the Montreal roster and don't see how that happened.