Skate

Fanku Kaibutsu

I've had the demo for a while and just played it recently, it feels like an actual sports game, and does actually have a challenge to it. I also love the ability to save videos and stuff, like in Halo 3.

My first big trick looked fucking sweet, can't remember exactly what it was but I got not much height off a short ramp height and somehow managed to do a flare-grab thing and landed it just in time. Dunno what a flare is in skateboarding (it's a BMX term), but it's basically a backflip and a 180 combined.

I haven't got a Tony Hawk's game in a while but I do keep my eye on them to see if anything's new/better. But Skate's like a breath of fresh air.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And....the most viewed video on Skate.reel?

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/17940/posts/116018.aspx

I'd recommend this game to anyone who would have even the slightest interest in it. It's amazing, and I've been playing it non-stop since getting it.

I got the game on Monday, playing it as much as I can. The city is almost too big, often I'll find these really cool spots then never be able to find them again. The game really needs a better map, the map basically has no detail to the point where there can be this huge sewer trench, but you have no idea it's there by looking at the map.

I've made a valuable discovery: It's possible to escape the skate park in the demo!

Next to the ditch/pool-thing are two rails in a line, you can follow this line up and down some hills to a chainlink fence. This fence is important. Start skating at the opposite end of the park from this fence. You should be able to see the space beyond this fence from where you start skating, at best, it should be empty white/blueish space. Get up as much speed as you can and ollie at the fence, and pause the game right before you hit the fence. Go into the replay menu, and rewind it back to the opposite side of the park. The game should unload the area around the fence, including the fence itself, so when you unpause it, you should be surrounded by an empty void. Quickly re-pause the game to allow it to load the area. When you un-pause, you should be outside of the fence.

There's a pretty sizeable area around the park you can play with, but the game'll crash if you go too far, or get hit by a car.

I got up early just to get this today, and within about 5 minutes of playing, I decimated my short term memory with the help of a quarter pipe:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/27555/posts/269081.aspx

comments and stuff would be appreciated, as there's an achievement for getting 20 comments on a video or picture I think. Unless you have to register, then don't bother >_>

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of tricks available, particularly the darkslide. I get that it's bloody difficult to do, but they could have reflected that with the controls. Unless of course the trick book I'm flicking through right at the beginning is incomplete and does actually expand.

Otherwise though, I'm loving it.

The trickbook has every trick you can do. With the Darkslide, there's only a few people in the world who can do a good one. Plus, it would not be able to work with the physics of the game as there is no way to do a half-flip trick. It automatically tries to land the trick.