Anybody Else? TV Ratings? No?

Guest Psyence

So it's likely that I'm the only one who sees television ratings as a good discussion point, however.. I'll post these up daily for anybody who is interested, if it becomes clear that nobody is interested, I'll stop. But it's.. Billboard for TV and music charts are talked about often, clearly TV ratings are just as.. captivating.

U.S Ratings Wednesday September 26th

-Yesterday's Winners:

Dancing With the Stars (ABC), Private Practice (ABC), Criminal Minds (CBS), The Bionic Woman (NBC), CSI: NY (CBS), Life (NBC)

-Significant Losses in Week Two:

Kid Nation (CBS), Back To You (Fox), Kitchen Nightmares (Fox)

-Yesterday's Losers:

Til Death (Fox), Gossip Girl (CW)

RATINGS:

1 DANCING WITH THE STARS RESULTS ABC - 16.62 Million

2 PRIVATE PRACTICE ABC Premiere- 14.24 Million

3 BIONIC WOMAN NBC - Premiere- 13.59 Million

4 CRIMINAL MINDS CBS Season Premiere - 12.71 Million

5 CSI NY CBS Season Premiere - 12.70 Million

6 DIRTY SEXY MONEY ABC Premiere - 10.42 Million

7 LIFE NBC Premiere- 10.15 Million

8 DEAL OR NO DEAL NBC - 8.89 Million - (-9%)

9 KID NATION CBS - 7.61 Million - (-19%)

10 BACK TO YOU FOX - 7.54 Million - (-20%)

11 TIL DEATH FOX- 6.21 Million - (-20%)

12 KITCHEN NIGHTMARES FOX - 5.41 Million - (-18%)

13 AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL CW - 4.85 Million - (-6%)

14 GOSSIP GIRL CW - 2.55 Million - (-27%)

-Total Viewers:

ABC: 13.76 million, CBS: 11.01, NBC: 10.88, Fox: 6.14, CW: 3.70

-Adults 18-49:

ABC: 4.2 rating/11 share, NBC: 4.1/11, CBS: 3.3/ 9, Fox: 2.5/ 7, CW: 1.8/ 5

Edited by Psyence

Guest Ringmaster

There's only so much we can say about ratings though. Amongst the EWB TV crowd its a general consensus the top shows are pure shit and we're only really interested in ratings when a show's about to die.

Though this could be handy for later, when shows start going vamoose.

I don't buy that Journeyman and particularly Chuck's ratings are disappointments. I've heard that said about Journeyman because of the disappointing retention, but both were solid demo performers and premiered on a network whose recent history includes a lot of anemic numbers. Chuck's kind of in a tough spot, up against another pair a shows on CBS and FOX that likely skew particularly young, and Journeyman went up against the debut of long running reality series The Bachelor. But there are a pair of bright spots for both shows. For Chuck, the critical consensus was good, the show tested high and it's one of two shows that NBC prexy Ben Silverman is big on. For Journeyman, of its competition, ABC's The Bachelor consistently bled viewers at each half hour, and more viewers are likely to be available come next week. And for these shows particularly, the pilots have been available for some time, Journeyman since the beginning of September and Chuck since mid-July. This extends beyond the internet's leaks and Amazon's Unbox, and to Blockbuster and Netflix, who have both been offering the NBC pilots as a rental. How big that audience is remains to be seen, but it makes the second week ratings MUCH more important.

I think the expectations are going to be down this year anyway. To coin a phrase from TV-Week's excellent blog coverage of the season, first it was "flat is the new up" last week, and as this week's numbers come in it's "down 20% is the new flat". Viewers are turning to digital downloads, broadband numbers and DVR. Until Nielsen finds a way to incorporate all of those aspects into their ratings system, their numbers just don't reflect the true nature of the industry right now.

There's only so much we can say about ratings though. Amongst the EWB TV crowd its a general consensus the top shows are pure shit and we're only really interested in ratings when a show's about to die.

Though this could be handy for later, when shows start going vamoose.

Like VM :crying:

With the late-season beating NBC took in all timeslots last year, I'd say that these numbers are just fine. After you set record lows for ratings week in the middle of finale season, numbers that are at least sharp upturns from where the timeslot left off are at the very least a step in the right direction. None of NBC's scripted programming have performed as well as Deal Or No Deal lately, so I don't think they're pulling their hair out over Chuck failing to match. Studio 60 was promoted like it was going to save television and was from the creator of a show that at one point had 20 million regular viewers, so predictably it attracted a sizable debut audience. And most importantly, it's the debut of a ton of new programming where your product has already been available for some time. I know of several people who didn't rewatch Chuck and Journeyman because they'd already seen it and were waiting for next week (one of which has posted in this thread). You can't start climbing until you stop falling. This is a well programmed night of television, and if they can hold steady at the 8 and 10pm hours, they'll do just fine. Like I said, second week is going to count for so much more.