PS3 Change

Cadet Ember McLain

So my brother and I go to get a PS3. It's priced at $999, and contains the console, a controller, and 2 launch games. The console in question is the 60Gb, backwards compatible version. However, all the stores are sold out, so we have to wait a week.

Fair enough.

A week later, we go to collect, but are told that there is absolutely no chance of getting the 60Gb version in Australia, as Sony have decided it's too expensive for people, so they removed the backwards compatibility, and changed to a 40Gb hard drive. The price is now $499 for the "new" version.

Slight problem: it's been paid in full...

Therefore, aren't we owed a 60Gb PS3, regardless of Sony's brain-melting business strategy?

So my brother and I go to get a PS3. It's priced at $999, and contains the console, a controller, and 2 launch games. The console in question is the 60Gb, backwards compatible version. However, all the stores are sold out, so we have to wait a week.

Fair enough.

A week later, we go to collect, but are told that there is absolutely no chance of getting the 60Gb version in Australia, as Sony have decided it's too expensive for people, so they removed the backwards compatibility, and changed to a 40Gb hard drive. The price is now $499 for the "new" version.

Slight problem: it's been paid in full...

Therefore, aren't we owed a 60Gb PS3, regardless of Sony's brain-melting business strategy?

Is the 80GB model available in Australia? That'll be your only chance for a backwards compatible PS3 at this point (which is also slightly gimped since they stopped using the Emotion Engine after the 60GB version). It'll cost more of course, which is a shame.

it should not coast you 500aussi$ to find some geek that can wire in a bigger hard drive for you. it would be rather silly to go with the bigger version if you are still able to get it.

edit

what exactly dos backwards compaible mean?! Don´t the new versions play ps2 games anymore? That ´ed blow big time.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

it should not coast you 500aussi$ to find some geek that can wire in a bigger hard drive for you. it would be rather silly to go with the bigger version if you are still able to get it.

edit

what exactly dos backwards compaible mean?! Don´t the new versions play ps2 games anymore? That ´ed blow big time.

Yeah, Europe are on the same scheme. We too were only getting backwards compatibilty via software emulation, so I'm not sure why they'd take that out when it surely isn't too expensive to include...? But the 60Gb model is being discontinued, so the 40Gb one is the only continuing model at the moment. It's also got less features, such as only 2 USB ports instead of 4. Check out the Wikipedia page, you're looking at the 40Gb PAL and 60Gb PAL columns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3..._configurations

Yeah, Europe are on the same scheme. We too were only getting backwards compatibilty via software emulation, so I'm not sure why they'd take that out when it surely isn't too expensive to include...? But the 60Gb model is being discontinued, so the 40Gb one is the only continuing model at the moment. It's also got less features, such as only 2 USB ports instead of 4. Check out the Wikipedia page, you're looking at the 40Gb PAL and 60Gb PAL columns:

Actually, I've read that backwards compatability is one of the more expensive features. Basically, they've found that most people don't throw away/sell their PS2s anyway, so there's still the market for PS2 games if they wanted to. I don't see what the big deal is, since I don't play PS2 games that much. You can't cut prices and keep all the features, it's just simple economics.

Generally the 40gig model sucks. We've been selling A LOT of 60gig models recently since the £349.99 price (including two games and two Blu-Rays) which puts it easily on a par with the Elite (including a Blu-Ray player of course as well as inbuilt Wireless connection which saves the £60 for the 360.

The 40gig is £299 with one solitary Blu-Ray so the 60gig model is far better value - ridiculously so and that's why we're now getting people trading in their 360s for 606gig PS3s (It was the other way around for a while).

When the 60gigs run out it's just 40gigs in the UK for a while until the 80gig next year which is expected to be released with the Dual Shock Six Axis and backwards compatibility. They've just had a stupid panicky funk and thrown out the frankly embarrassing 40gig. Really I think they're just chucking out the 40gig to tide them over from the end of 60gig stock until the 80gig Dual Shock pack is released.

Having said that, since I got my 60gig with backwards compatibility I've actually not wanted to play any PS2 games though I'm sure the old draw of them will get me eventually. I did play my PS1 game Overboard on it though - whoo!

Actually, I've read that backwards compatability is one of the more expensive features. Basically, they've found that most people don't throw away/sell their PS2s anyway, so there's still the market for PS2 games if they wanted to. I don't see what the big deal is, since I don't play PS2 games that much. You can't cut prices and keep all the features, it's just simple economics.

SCEA have now confirmed that the 40GB PS3 will be coming to America for only $400 on November the 2nd. Not only that, but the 80GB model with have its price slashed from $600 to $500.

- PS3fanboy.com

So price cut for the 80 GB was not expected.

If only the other two and especially the games would lower in price here, then you'd see more people buying them.

Spending $10 on top of the American price for a game is robbery. Then again, considering pricing over in Europe and elsewhere, I have no right to complain.

I especially want the Virtual Console stuff and Live Arcade stuff to lower in cost. Nintendo especially is price gouging.

Edited by Vilge Duin

Surely the expense is incurred in developing the emulation software rather than actually including it in the console? It's also presumably to get people to buy more PS3 games, which isn't happening to a great degree at the moment.