PS3 Change

Cadet Ember McLain

I traded in my PS2 when I got my PS3...But only cos it was backwards compatible :P

If it had been the 40gig console I'd have had to have bought would I have kept my PS2?! Hmm...Shadow Of The Colossus, MGS2&3, Ico, Buzz, Way Of The Samurai 1&2 and Resi 4 all say I would have done. Just a helluva lot easier to just need the one console!

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Yeah, Europe are on the same scheme. We too were only getting backwards compatibilty via software emulation, so I'm not sure why they'd take that out when it surely isn't too expensive to include...? But the 60Gb model is being discontinued, so the 40Gb one is the only continuing model at the moment. It's also got less features, such as only 2 USB ports instead of 4. Check out the Wikipedia page, you're looking at the 40Gb PAL and 60Gb PAL columns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3..._configurations

Actually, I've read that backwards compatability is one of the more expensive features. Basically, they've found that most people don't throw away/sell their PS2s anyway, so there's still the market for PS2 games if they wanted to. I don't see what the big deal is, since I don't play PS2 games that much. You can't cut prices and keep all the features, it's just simple economics.

Surely the expense is incurred in developing the emulation software rather than actually including it in the console? It's also presumably to get people to buy more PS3 games, which isn't happening to a great degree at the moment.

Just as an entertaining experiment I'm gonna name the PS3 games out NOW in the UK that I think are great, and those I'm really looking forward to over the coming months. Sure, half of these are available on the 360 too but what does that matter?! I've got a PS3, not 360.

GREAT AND OUT NOW: (after 6 months of PS3 UK release)

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (seriously magnificent game)

Heavenly Sword

Colin McRae Dirt

Skate

Warhawk

Stuntman: Ignition

Folklore

The Darkness

GREAT AND COMING OUT SOON:

Metal Gear Solid 4 (Beginning '08)

Resident Evil 5 (TBC)

Assassins Creed (23rd November)

Pro Evo 08 (26th October)

The Orange Box (23rd November)

Guitar Hero 3 (23rd November)

Army Of Two (30th November)

Mercenaries 2 (Before Christmas)

Call Of Duty 4 (9th November)

Kane & Lynch (23rd November)

Unreal Tourney 3 (9th November)

Ratchet & Clank Future (23rd October)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (7th December)

Haze (30th November)

Bladestorm (2nd November)

Buzz: Quiz TV (TBC - with downloadable content)

Jericho (26th October)

So, looks like, after just 6 months of UK release, the PS3 is nicely finding it's feet just in time for Christmas. And of course both lists are avoiding games that may be great but I'm not fussed about (like Madden)

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Worse news for Sony comes from San Jose Mercury News' Dean Takahashi who writes that Sony recently "pleaded with third-party developers not to abandon its struggling platform", attempting to make the argument that the PS3 is filled with untapped hardware potential.

As Takahashi writes, it's a decidedly different attitude, one that's been reflected in Jack Tretton's E3 presser speech and Kaz Hirai's Tokyo Game Show keynote. Both execs approached the opportunity to present a more humble Sony, with Hirai stressing that the company was working to bring down hardware prices and work more closely with third parties.

GREAT AND COMING OUT SOON:

Metal Gear Solid 4 (Beginning '08)

Resident Evil 5 (TBC)

Assassins Creed (23rd November)

Pro Evo 08 (26th October)

The Orange Box (23rd November)

Guitar Hero 3 (23rd November)

Army Of Two (30th November)

Mercenaries 2 (Before Christmas)

Call Of Duty 4 (9th November)

Kane & Lynch (23rd November)

Unreal Tourney 3 (9th November)

Ratchet & Clank Future (23rd October)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (7th December)

Haze (30th November)

Bladestorm (2nd November)

Buzz: Quiz TV (TBC - with downloadable content)

Jericho (26th October)

So, looks like, after just 6 months of UK release, the PS3 is nicely finding it's feet just in time for Christmas. And of course both lists are avoiding games that may be great but I'm not fussed about (like Madden)

My grammatical mistake is indeed embarrassing and I'm glad you pointed it out.

Yes of course many of those games are on other consoles (read: 360) also but I never pretended they weren't.

I listed those as games that I personally would be interested in (though of course can't afford them all) and that have been receiving some good feedback from previews, tests and demos. I am actually more interested in Rock Band than Guitar Hero 3 now after reading about some of its' features and the like.

Of those games I could probably break them down further but no-one would be interested anyway.

Just showing that the console is indeed FINALLY experiencing a decent number of releases over the next few months. Of course every other console will experience the same due to Christmas, it's just nice that the PS3 ain't missing out. There's been a lot of people picking up the "few and far between" great games and now it's nice that we'll have plenty of choice.

Oh and I don't care that it's a Blu-Ray player...I don't watch 'em.

A question about the PS3.

Looked throughout the PS3 manual book but I cant seem to find out how to change this. My girlfriend went and messed about creating a new user, but she wanted her name on the user, yet she put it as User 1. For the life of me I cant work out how to edit the name or delete that user. Any idea how I do it?