November 2007 Wrestling Graphics Contest

NOVEMBER WRESTLING GRAPHICS COMPETITION

The Rules: Despite its ratings, the WWE have decided to further expand the ECW brand in hopes that it might garner more interest in it. They're beginning this process by bringing back one of ECW's PPVs. The main event will be a triple threat barbwire-ropes match for the ECW title.

The Specifics: You will design a poster for this event. The poster must feature the name of the PPV (you MAY re-design the old logo used for it if you want to), mention the match and those involved (you may choose who is involved in the match, but they must be a part of the ECW), as well as the venue and date (all of which you may choose as well). Basically, this contest gives you a lot of options. However, the graphic must be 400w x 500h.

The Deadline: November 23rd

Edited by The Mask of Norro

wrestlepaloozamw1.jpg

There's mine. I'm not too keen on the rules, as I'm not up-to-speed on ECW, and WWE's pictures either suck or you can't download them, but I wanted to do a poster.

I put Van Dam in as it is possible he could return, who knows, and in my opinion, there is no one else good to put in the match that I like on ECW (yes, even though I don't watch the show).

Idea is that Wrestlemania 24 is invaded by ECW, becoming Wrestlepalooza, and for once a ECW Title match isn't the 10 mins into the show, its the main event, nor is it the only ECW match. (Shock, horror etc.)

Anyway, there we go.

Edited by TheModernWay

• 2 weeks later...

REMEMBER EVERYONE: THIS FRIDAY IS THE DEADLINE!

THE CONTEST HAS OFFICIALLY ENDED.

MY JUDGMENTS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MADE, AND I WILL BE CONTACTING OTHER POTENTIAL JUDGES TO ASSIST IN THE SCORING.

SCORES AND RESULTS WILL BE POSTED ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30TH. NEXT MONTH'S CONTEST WILL THEN BEGIN ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1ST.

ALL CONTESTS WILL BE ALLOWED TO RUN AGAIN NEXT MONTH FOR A FINAL TRIAL RUN. DEPENDING ON THE CONSISTENCY OF PEOPLE SHOWING UP/NUMBER OF ENTRIES IN GENERAL, SOME CONTESTS MAY OR MAY NOT STAY FOR THE NEW YEAR.

Great work everyone, next month i'll try and enter.. i dabbled but just couldnt come up with anything.. maybe because i was never a big ECW fan.. (i'm australian, we didnt get it much here) or im just shit at graphics lol (latter more likely). Anyway, good work.

If you are short on judges let me know

• 2 weeks later...

nov_wres_07.jpg

Congratulations Stateofmind for winning the November 2007 Wrestling Graphics Contest!

Unfortunately, I myself didn't have time to write my own reasons for my scores. Thankfully, the other judges did, so all of you will have some good feedback over how your designs were received.

Ollie's Feedback

The Modern Way: I love the idea of Wrestlepalooza taking over WrestleMania. It gives ECW the seperation that's needed, and the logo is mint. I'm not a huge fan of the colours, it looks a little summery for my liking. The placements of both Punk and Morrison are brilliantly done, but RVDs positioning irks me. It just makes it look as tho Punk and Morrison are fighting a fat headed midget with a peado grin. Still, it's a good poster. 6.5/10

Nerf: Similar to Modern Way, the logo and positioning of the wrestlers are easily the best things about the poster, despite Punk looking like a jap and Miz being the most downs syndrome wrestler in the world. Ever. It actually looks like it could potentially be a real poster, except for the grainy grungey thing going on. It just brings the quality down so much. Without it, it'd be ace, with it, it just looks like its been abdly produced. 7/10

Dochappy: On first look, I love it. As I look at it more, and as I start to judge it, I don't like it as much. It's a great hype-esque graphic, but it doesn't look like a poster to me. I've never liked having "[c]" put on posters, and although a small fault, it just bugs me. Dreamer and Punk look fantastic, but Morrison looks like he's come out of nowhere, and he sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm not a fan of the logo or positioning either. 6/10

Stateofmind: Did you by any chance see the poster Alldawson made for ONS the other year? If not than its the same sort of thing, which is no bad thing whatsoever, as that was an awesome poster. The logo and entire graphic is brilliant, but the positioning of the wrestlers annoy me a little, and they all look a little squashed. If you'd put all three in one of the gaps and had something else in the other two (maybe the ECW title in one and a crowd shot in the other) then I imagine it'd be completely flawless. 8/10

Jimmy The Exploder: Flip my opinions on Dochappy, on first look; I disliked it. But as I begin to judge it, I'm starting to really like it. Punk's dominance is fantastic, as is Dreamer looking violent as ever. Raven being there just creeps me out. He looks so dark and downright evil. The effect on Punk irks me a little, I feel without it, Punk would stand out even more. The logo's great, but the font on the bottom left isn't so great. A good poster, not great, but definitely one that's grown on me since first look. 7.5/10

AJ's Feedback

TheModernWay - 6.5/10 - Good choice of colours. Like the logo. Good idea to give the champ the main focus although they all seem part of the background at the moment. Otherwise I think the text at the top is a little less noticable and out the way than it should be.

Nerf - 7/10 - Love the text at the top and the bottom. The logo is well placed and nice enough. My first thought is that there's far too much contrast however it does give it an edgier feel.

Dochappy - 6/10 - Nice idea with the info box at the bottom although it feels a little futuristic in comparison to the grungy background. Not a bad effort by any means though.

Stateofmind - 8/10 - Good job. If I were to nitpick I'd have moved the "triple threat" text into the centre a little bit, kept the Heaven text the same font as Hardcore, and had second guy (sorry don't know the name!) to the right a little to occupy that space... that WOULD be nitpicking though. Sound effort.

Jimmy - 6/10 - Feeling the bloody theme but I think the piece lacks a focal point other than the logo which is tucked too far into the corner. Good font choice too but that text looks like it's been forced in there.

nufan's Feedback

The Modern Way - Wrestlepalooza

7/10

Good banner, I like how he has done Oranges and yellows because it encorporates it with the 'Citrus' Bowl, something a few people wouldn't pick up on i don't think. The text is solid and doesn't do it any damage, but there is nothing 'WOW' about it.. solid and pretty good but not the best.

Nerf - November To Remember

4.5/10

Not a big fan, haven't seen much of his other work but it seeems a little bit rushed.. simple cuts, simple text and just a filter over the top. Enough said?

Dochappy - Hardcore Heaven

7.5/10

Really enjoyed this one, a as I do with most of Doc's work, has a knack for choosing or making solid backgrounds. Good couts and effects that go with it. The name plate is another bonus. Only thing i don't like is the size of the Morrison cut, makes him seem inferior to the other two guys.

Stateofmind - Hardcore Heaven

8/10

Really enjoyed this, simple and effective, has a nice gloss over the top of it and it puts focus on all the right areas. Love the text and use of upper and lower case, little things like this make posters for me.

Jimmy The Exploder - Hostile City Showdown

5/10

Not bad for a first effort, along way from being the best but he tried, good use of people using the rules to your advantage and with stock fonts, thats probably a good choice. If you were used to photoshop your rating wouldnt have been this high.

Yeah, well done. Though I should've won. :shifty: . Hahahaha.

A December one with better (IMO) rules would be nice, and one where I could use TNA pictures over WWE ones as I have a lot more of them and they're larger and all round better than WWE's ones :P .