Post Rock/Instrumental/Experimental

F#A#

<3

I've been on a fucking huge A Silver Mt. Zion trip lately, and GY!BE are one of my favourite bands out there, especially for "Dead Flag Blues". I was thinking of making a post-rock thread myself the other day.

If you haven't already, check out "Hex" by Earth...normally Earth are ridiculously heavy drone, but Hex is completely different...no distortion, just epic soundscapes. Not quite on the level of a Zion or a Godspeed, but beautiful desolate music all the same, which I can't recommend enough.

The drone link continues, as I have to recommend everything off "Altar" by SunnO))) & Boris which, as much as I love both bands, I think is the best work either have done. Most notable are "The Sinking Belle", which is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years, and "N.L.T." which for a song played on two instruments (gong and upright bass) is downright spooky, and stunning.

One criminally under-rated band which, while not post-rock, should appeal to you if you have similar sensibilities to me (which a love for instrumental and post-rock music suggests) is Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. They started out as a hardcore band, but since the late '90s they've been "doom jazz"....they sound like a really fucking sinister film noir soundtrack. I especially recommend "Prowler" but, really, throw "doom jazz" in to last.fm, or just get anything by them, it's all fantastic stuff.

Jesu, High On Fire, Pelican, Boris, Sunn O))), Porcupine Tree, Between The Buried & Me, Omar a. Rodriguez-Lopez...

I myself wouldn't quite group someon like BTBAM into post rock, although they're great.

<3

I've been on a fucking huge A Silver Mt. Zion trip lately, and GY!BE are one of my favourite bands out there, especially for "Dead Flag Blues". I was thinking of making a post-rock thread myself the other day.

If you haven't already, check out "Hex" by Earth...normally Earth are ridiculously heavy drone, but Hex is completely different...no distortion, just epic soundscapes. Not quite on the level of a Zion or a Godspeed, but beautiful desolate music all the same, which I can't recommend enough.

The drone link continues, as I have to recommend everything off "Altar" by SunnO))) & Boris which, as much as I love both bands, I think is the best work either have done. Most notable are "The Sinking Belle", which is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years, and "N.L.T." which for a song played on two instruments (gong and upright bass) is downright spooky, and stunning.

One criminally under-rated band which, while not post-rock, should appeal to you if you have similar sensibilities to me (which a love for instrumental and post-rock music suggests) is Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. They started out as a hardcore band, but since the late '90s they've been "doom jazz"....they sound like a really fucking sinister film noir soundtrack. I especially recommend "Prowler" but, really, throw "doom jazz" in to last.fm, or just get anything by them, it's all fantastic stuff.

Yeah, TMV is an epic band. Most on here don't appreciate them, but I'm one of their biggest fans. I can remember when one of my friends introduced me to them and made me listen and watch the video for "Inertiatic ESP", and I was freaked the hell out at the level Cedric could achieve with his voice. A year later, I was a huge fan.

I highly suggest you check out the solo albums that Omar has put out (some with appearances by Cedric). "Se Dice Bisonte, No Bùfalo" remains my favorite album, closely followed by his first effort, "A Manual Dexterity: Vol. 1". The Mars Volta even re-worked a track off of the "Se Dice Bisonte, No Bùfalo" album called "Rapid Fire Tollbooth" (now called "Goliath", and will be released on their new album, "The Bedlam In Goliath", in 2008).

They're just immense.

I'm not really big into the instrumental stuff. I have a hard time enjoying it thoroughly... but if you haven't heard John 5's solo album, The Devil Knows My Name... it's tremendous. If you don't know, he's the current guitarist for Rob Zombie's band.