Jay-Z - American Gangster

Kanye West - Graduation

Talib Kweli - Eardrum

Common - Finding Forever

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

Pharoah Monch - Desire

Black Milk - Popular Demand

Little Brother - Getback

Finding Forever, Ruff Draft, and I'll Sleep When You're dead were my three favourites of '07. It was a better year for mixtapes imo: Hip Hop Docktrine 2, Dillagence, The Moral Of The Story, Turntable Work 5, ..And Justus For All, Can't Tell Me Nothing and The Graduate were all great imo.

I wouldn't say M.I.A is anything close to grime, but ok, she's English so will get called it.

Pharaohe Monche, Talib Kweli and Common's albums were the best in hip-hop for me. Example, who's on Mike Skinner's label, deserves a shout for doing something a bit different. Dizzee, Wu-Tang and Kano's were hugely disappointing. From actual grime acts, Tinchy Stryder had the best album out by a mile, and Skepta and Wiley had decent albums as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hip Hop Docktrine 2 was the best mixtape out this year along with Mixtape Messiah 3. Both are pretty much no need to press skip track, plus with HHD2 it had clips from Boondocks.

I am shocked that no even mentioned UGK "Underground Kingz", which was the best album by far in 2007. Lyrics, production, and special feature guests all blended into a classic album. From "Swishas and Doshas" to "Hit the Block" all songs were perfectly placed in their order, complementing the slow, soulful with the uptempo bangers.

I wouldn't say M.I.A is anything close to grime, but ok, she's English so will get called it.

I can see why people might class her as "grime", as there's similar production on certain tracks, but musically I think she's a world apart from it, and from most things in hip-hop. She's a real breath of fresh air in general, and its definitely between her and Saul Williams as to who's produced the best hip-hop of the year. That said, I've not heard the new Wu-Tang yet, so...

Edited by Skummy