Best Hip-Hop of 2007

Lowerdeck

Looking at my '07 hip-hop music, I feel rather underwhelmed for the year. Kanye's was good, but admittedly I can't rave it as more than that. Ditto for Common, Dizzee Rascal, Jay-Z, Pharaohe Monch, El-P and Talib Kweli. The last three or four got intensely overhyped because of delay or maybe because in Jigga's case, he didn't make Kingdom Come 2. Nas and Outkast's new records not coming out this year really hurts for me and overall it's been a passive year for good hip-hop, I guess. I mean, it's alright, but hardly as amazing as with Nas dropping Hip Hop is Dead at the end of the year.

EDIT: Oh, as for Lupe, I'm sure I'll find it alright. Still, I never listened to Food and Liquor all the way.

Edited by ROC

EDIT: Oh, as for Lupe, I'm sure I'll find it alright. Still, I never listened to Food and Liquor all the way.

Neither did I, but then, that's entirely The Outro's fault.

Outro to Food and Liquor had a good beat attached to it. And you're just waiting for him to do something really good, and he's just giving shoutouts. What a waste.

Still looking forward to The Cool though.

And I will agree, it's been an off year. For 2007 rap releases, today I've doubled what I've got the rest of the year combined.

Honestly, I think there have been 5 albums released this year that I would consider classics, personally. The Cool (it just leaked), Graduation, Big Doe Rehab (Ghostface), Finding Forever, and American Gangster were all great. Plus solid albums such as 8 Diagrams, Free At Last (Freeway), Desire (Pharohe Monch), and Niggy Tardust. Overall, I'd say it was a really good year for hip hop.

I'd forgotten about Monche, that was another great album.

I've got some catching up to do. Haven't yet been able to listen to Lupe, Ghostface, Wu-Tang, or Scarface, but expecting good things out of all of em. If that holds true, then yea, roughly 10 or so albums I'd highly recommend this year, so definately not a bad year.

Was We Fly High (Ballin') out this year? If so, that was my single of the year.

Nope, 2006. September 2006.

The only real hip-hop albums I've dug alot this year are Aesop Rock's "None Shall Pass", Gorilla Zoe's "Welcome To The Zoo", Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise...", Pharoahe Monch's "Desire" and purely for entertainment reasons, Necro's "Death Rap".

Gorilla Zoe's album tops my list though.