The Hamster's little excitable PSP thread...

Slim apparantly has a more powerful processor (somehow) and the battery is more powerful (if you put a standard battery in the Slim it will jut out the back but will give you double the battery life - the Slim battery gives the same life as a standard did to the standard console). Apparantly loading times are quicker on the Slim but I haven't checked it out yet.

Some of the buttons are moved around, the "disc tray" is now just pulled out as opposed to using a button (which has jammed on some peoples' consoles) and the memory stick slot is also a bit more low tech (but no worse or better).

Screen is same size, buttons seem to have the same "weightiness" but due to the weight it feels a little more plasticy which at first when they came out I hated but after carrying it around and playing with it a bit I think I actually like.

The bit you plug the headphones into has also been re-coded which is why you can plug in the lead to play PSP on a high def TV (which you can't do with a standard) and use the mic headphones which are coming out for it and actually look okay.

All in all it's winning me over and I thought it wouldn't. (Y)

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never played the original. I said that I still thought it was very good, just I'd heard it was better.

The wipeout game being wipeout pure or is there a newer one?

EDIT: I haven't played Pulse. Pures fun though.

Is Pulse practically the same, just with new ummmm.... flying things and tracks?

Edited by Mattman

• 3 weeks later...

Personally my top eleven games are (in no real order):

Pro Cycling Manager (you won't want it)

Football Manager '08 (you probably won't want it)

International Cricket Captain (you won't want it)

Patapon

Locoroco

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

SSX On Tour

Everybody's Golf

Daxter

Sid Meier's Pirates!

The games I really want to play are:

Wipeout Pulse

God Of War

Downstream Panic (another cutesy puzzle game)

Crisis Core FFVII

Tomb Raider Anniversary (borrowing it at weekend)

Lumines (finally got around to borrowing it yesterday - not had time to play it yet)

I've just realised how bad my PSP collection is. I've sold a couple of games (Daxter and Sega Mega Drive Collection) but only currently own:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Lemmings

Lord Of The Rings Tactics

Marvel Trading Card Game

Sid Meiers Pirates

Wipeout Pure

X-Men Legends 2

Its almost enough to make me want to change my CEX shopping list tomorrow.

Yeah its good. And its quite easy to just pick up, play a level and carry on your merry way.

You probably need to be familiar with the LOTR series enough to know whos who, otherwise you could end up sending Legolas to melee with a troll which would get really messy.

Its far too easy, you'll have to put it on its highest difficulty to feet remotely challenged.

We have...

Daxter

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Jeanne D'Arc

GTA: Vice City Stories

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Ratchet wasn't too good in all honesty. Decent for what it is, but not even remotely as good as the others. What I have tried of Daxter, it's a great little game, especially if one is interested in the Jak series. Dracula X, I'm not to fussed over the Rondo remake (or even the old version) but portable Symphony of the Night with updated script and voice acting? Great. GTA is rather enjoyable, but I have difficulty with the controls at times. Disgaea, FF Tactics and Jeanne are all great strategy RPGs, which all suit the portable idea.

I tried playing Metal Gear Acid and didn't get too far into it. Found it quite interesting, but I'm not too good at it, and screwing up based on not understanding something is frustrating. Haven't gotten to the second. And Portable Ops I unfortunately haven't even played yet. Which I should.

I'm mindly interested in God of War, but my girlfriend more prefers that type of stuff. I'm quite piqued about Crisis Core but am not sure if I'd want to purchase it. Likely will, but need to know more about it.

Will you need to play VII to be able to understand Crisis Core? I'm currently trying to find a copy of VII but having no luck.

I don't understand why Daxter was seen as such a good game. (or Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank for that matter) They bore me to tears.

Why do they bore you to tears? Classic platforming action with interesting characters and decent humour. They're loved by millions.

And no, having played FF VII really has no bearing on being able to play Crisis Core. Since it's a prequel you don't need to know what happens, albeit you may appreciate certain things better if you do play VII first. You also may spol and ruin certain twists within VII beforehand if you play Crisis Core first.

I just picked it up yesterday, and it's quite fun so far. I'm extremely impressed with the graphics and that. Sometimes its hard to believe this little thing is in my hands. The gameplay is akin to a modified Kingdom Hearts.