New Guns N' Roses

rvdseven

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reznor is NIN because, well, he's the only constant member of the group. Lemmy is Motorhead because he's the most recognizable out of the band. The same can be said about Axl & Guns 'N Roses, except that Slash is just as recognizable as well. Add to the fact that Slash is overrated as a guitarist, and I don't know what you have, but it equals out to some form of: Buckethead > Slash.

Reznor is NIN because, well, he's the only constant member of the group. Lemmy is Motorhead because he's the most recognizable out of the band. The same can be said about Axl & Guns 'N Roses, except that Slash is just as recognizable as well. Add to the fact that Slash is overrated as a guitarist, and I don't know what you have, but it equals out to some form of: Buckethead > Slash.

Buckethead > Slash?! .... You can put the crack pipe down now. From what I've heard, Buckethead isn't anywhere near as good as Slash, and the fact that he's partially ripping off Wes Borland's gimmick doesn't help his case either.

Buckethead > Slash?! .... You can put the crack pipe down now. From what I've heard, Buckethead isn't anywhere near as good as Slash, and the fact that he's partially ripping off Wes Borland's gimmick doesn't help his case either.

Yeah, people get too worked up over the "rock and roll" mythology behind groups like Guns & Roses. OH MY GOD Slash played drunk, and Duff passed out on stage...that doesn't make them a good band, it makes it a disappointing live show because the band obviously don't care enough to entertain the people paying to see them.

Slash is an above-average guitarist, but Buckethead is one of the most talented, prolific and diverse guitarists in the world. I absolutely detest guitar solos, I think they're superfluous, wanky and usually devoid of emotion and horrible to listen to, but I'd have a hard time naming you a Buckethead song I didn't like, and that's going from a huge range of solo instrumental material, through his work with Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Praxis, Zillatron, collaborations with Saul Williams, Les Claypool and Mike Patton, spanning a huge range of genres...whilst what has Slash managed? He played in Guns & Roses who, to be honest, while initially good at what they did before they got far too self-indulgent, have very little range or depth to them and then....played in a band that sounded like Guns & Roses. And then disappeared for a few years and...played in a band that sounded like Guns & Roses.

To say that he's ripping off anyone, especially someone like Wes Borland who, as Tristy pointed out, started making music significantly later than Buckethead did, and never behaved or played guitar in a similar fashion, is just absurd.

I'd wager that GhostMachine either has never heard the better part of Buckethead's work and is just part of the "Guns & Roses without Slash? THE WORLD IS ENDING." brigade, or is deaf.

Buckethead > most.

Edited by Skummy

Whilst I do find Buckethead to be tremendously talented, I'm not a fan of his work personally, and I'd definitely rank Slash higher than him. I personally feel the whole "GNR are just self-indulged crap anyway" argument is pointless, because a lot of people are fans of that, especially myself. To me, rock n' roll is not rock n' roll without the egos, the drugs, the girls, and the attitude.

Also, I'd like to thank Skummy. Despite knowing the history of the band like the back of my hand, I never clicked onto the (Tracii) Guns & (Axl) Roses reference, and I have no idea why.

For the record, I think Appetite For Destruction is a damn good hard rock album, but after that I feel they kind of lose their way. I also think that Izzy Stradlin is one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet.

Tracii Guns seems to be forgotten about entirely in G'N'R history, I'm not sure why...probably because (as far as I know) that line-up never recorded anything together, but it's still surprising how little mention he gets. I didn't know he had anything to do with them about two years ago, and my ex is as big a fan of Brides Of Destruction, LA Guns and Guns & Roses as anyone I've ever met, and she didn't know that until around the same time, it's odd how little known that little tidbit is.

I don't see how anybody could legitimately argue the point that Slash is a better guitarist than Buckethead is.

Slash is arguably one of the most over rated guitar players in the world in my book. I'm not saying that he isn't a good guitarist but I can name at least 10 off the top of my head that are miles better than he is at every aspect of playing guitar, and Buckethead is definitely one of them.

Buckethead is more than the simple gimmick that some people see him as, Buckethead is an innovative, and phenomenal guitarist. Slash, however, is simply one of those generic rock guitarists for me that only stands out because of the fame he achieved in Guns N' Roses.

I fucking hate other people's opinions. No fucker ever backs themselves up properly.

"I don't see how anybody could legitimately argue the point that Slash is a better guitarist than Buckethead is."

I don't see how anybody could legitimately argue the point that Buckethead is a better guitarist than Slash is.