Some photos I took

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I'm in a news photography class this semester, and we had to come up with an idea for a photo story. Then we had to shoot it.

I decided to take pictures of assorted city halls in the area, and here are the four photos I settled on. I'm posting them partially to toot my own horn, partially to get some feedback on what other photo geeks think of them (particularly criticism).

IMG_0196.jpg

Brantford. I very much like the guy behind the 'no parking' sign (I did NOT do that on purpose).

IMG_0232.jpg

Waterloo. Do the apartment buildings on the right detract from it? Does taking this one from further back work okay?

IMG_0245.jpg

Cambridge. I should point out that the building on the left is their old city hall, they moved to the building on the right a few weeks ago. I had better pictures of the new one, but they were similar to those of Brantford and Kitchener, so I decided to include the old one too for this.

IMG_0262.jpg

Kitchener. Taking the picture more straight-on from across the street, the snowbanks were too big for it to be clear that those people were skating.

Opinions?

Excellent perspective of the Waterloo City Center. Nothing wrong with the apartment buildings; they make a good backdrop. Kitchener City Hall is alright as well. Excellent angle at 45 degrees. Cambridge is kinda bland without visualizing the building as a whole. If you had taken it back some 30-35 feet, then it would have been better, IMHO. Brantford isn't too noteworthy, other than the pyramid overhead.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Thanks for the advice, and the compliments. :)

Agreed that Brantford is the worst of the bunch by far, but...the building is ridiculously ugly. It's a series of concrete slabs, I couldn't come up with any way to make it look decent.

And I did take some of Cambridge that were farther back - this being IMO the best of them - but thought they were too similar to what I did in Kitchener, only without the skating atmosphere.

That one with the apartments would probably look better if you either cut them out totally or if you moved the picture across to the left so that the apartments are on the edge of the photo.

Although the yellow banner at the front of the picture does bring the attention to the center of the pic..

I too like the Brantford one the most, good use of the rule of thirds as there is something in each third of the photo which always makes it appealing. Poles are good to get a guide of this as it looks like you have take the flag pole and made the hall the background object even though it is the main purpose of the picture, its a useful effect.