Romance of the Three Kingdoms

So a recent post in the "What You Play Today" thread reminded me about this great game. So I thought i would create a topic talking about its greatness as well as ask question. Is there a big difference between the number and if so what are those differences and which one is better?

haha whiskers in this topic (wub)

And basically its just each version, the newest one will be around X or XI i imagine?

I have RoTKVIII - not played it in a long time but it's such a good game. In the hands of the right person RoTK is possibly the most enthralling game out there.

I personally prefer the ones where you play as a singular force, rather than just as a single officer. As for the numbers, I have played IV, VII, IX, X, and XI, and have enjoyed all of them in some way. VII and X are the ones of those that have play as an officer, as does VIII (which I haven't played.) I'm really enjoying XI.

I hope that made sense, I've got a concert I'm going to, so I need to type fast.

Nice to see I jogged your memory!

• 10 months later...

I acquired RTK XXI the other day. Pretty fun, though I'm quite bad at it. The first time I played, Sun Jian made short work of me right away. My current game had me doing pretty well, controlling the bottom half of the map until the Nanman spammed me to death. I have three cities right above them now but haven't bothered to go after the ones I had before. Fucking Nanman. I hate how they just appear out of nowhere.

I remember renting one on PS2...I was an officer or something, and I was skipping the wars (taking a hands off approach), and somehow I became the leader. It was cool. Then I tried the next game, and I couldn't skip the battles, and I sucked at it and didn't enjoy it.

I really kicked ass in RTKII on the SNES. The original on the NES....not really my thing, but then again, I was very young.

I'll never forget the massive bidding wars over Lu Bu.

MWAHAHAHA CAO CAO, I HAVE LU BU!

"Sir, Lu Bu has defected!"

>_<

A lot of those old Koei games were great; my personal favorites were Nobunaga's Ambition on the NES (awesome replay value), Genghis Khan, again on the NES; Gemfire (on random system here, it was a pretty cool game), and ROTK2.