American Idol thread?

Guest tiarnantmann

Guest tiarnantman

There isn't one yet? Odd. Perhaps I'm the only person on EWB who watches it...and admits to it.

Anyway, I can't stand David Cook. Stupid, overrated, generic pop-rocker guy with an alien head and weird hair. Kristy Lee is the superior Cook.

At the moment, I'd rank them like this:

1) Carly Smithson (extra points cause she's Irish)

2) Brooke White

3) Jason Castro

4) Kristy Lee Cook

5) David Archuleta (tied)

5) Syesha Mercado (tied)

7) Michael Johns

8) Ramiele Malubay

9) David Cook

Edited by tiarnantman

Kristy Lee is good for looking at. And that's about it.

Brooke's probably my favorite at this point, although she's getting annoying fast with her crying. I also really enjoyed Jason Castro's version of Hallelujah. David Cook may be a lot of things, emo, a poser, generic. But he's a good singer and this is still a singing contest. And that Eleanor Rigby cover was gold.

I put a bet on David Cook to win, since I think they are building David Archuleta up as the "shock" exit of the season. Every year, there is one guy who lets eliminated (Latoya London, Daughtry) etc. who you think "Fuck, thought they were going to win."

The vocal quality this season is appauling.

Jason Castro has a nice voice, but it's very VERY weak. Ramiele too. Also Michael Johns and Carly Smithson shouldn't win the show, since it defeats the object of the title AMERICAN Idol. The final 3 will probably be Brooke White, David Cook and Archuleta.

Guest tiarnantman

Carly Smithson was terrific this week, easily the best. I don't get where Simon was coming from. And Brooke should not have been in the Bottom 3.

Oh, and Michael Johns has overtaken David Cook in arrogance.

Guest tiarnantman

Song choices for tonight:

Syesha Mercado -- "I Believe" by Fantasia

David Cook - "Innocent" by Our Lady Peace

Carly Smithson -- "The Show Must Go On" by Queen

Brooke White -- "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor

Jason Castro -- "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland

Michael Johns -- "Dream On" by Aerosmith

Kristy Lee Cook -- "Anyway" by Martina McBride

David Archuleta -- "Angels" by Robbie Williams

Awesome choices from Brooke and Jason. Perfect songs for them in my opinion. I'm saying right now that they'll be the ones to run away with it tonight.

My bet's still on David Cook, despite his first awful performance in ages. He started from the wrong point in the song and was completely overpowered by the backup at one point.

The sooner David Archuleta and Kristy Lee Cook are gone, the better. Both are absolutely terrible.

A big "meh" to Randy Jackson for saying the same damn things about almost every performance. Get a vocabulary, dude.

Carly Smithson was terrific this week, easily the best. I don't get where Simon was coming from.

Quoted for relevance this week as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tiarnantman

Song list for Andrew Lloyd Weber night:

Syesha Mercado -- "One Rock & Roll Too Many" from Starlight Express

David Cook -- "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera

Carly Smithson -- "Jesus Christ Superstar

Brooke White -- "You Must Love Me" from the film adaptation of "Evita"

Jason Castro -- "Memory" from Cats. FYI, the official title is NOT "Memories."

David Archuleta -- "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera

Carly's stealing the show tonight, she just has to. Jesus Christ Superstar > all ALW musicals. Syesha has to go, she's holding the place that should be Kristy's.

Edited by tiarnantman

Guest tiarnantman

Seriously, just fuck off Syesha. She was decent this week, but she's the still the weak spot of the lot, and should have been eliminated weeks ago. Carly leaving before her? Yeah right...

So Brooke is gone, and I knew it would hit her hard, I'm glad she's gone just because its more safe for her mentally to stay away. Honestly though, I could see Brooke being the only one from the rest of the group to actually go somewhere with a music career, while Syesha can do some broadway, as for the guys, I could care less. This season overall has been pretty weird, theres no great standout like other seasons but all 12 contestants were at the very least good to great. So I pretty much see a David/David final.

Guest tiarnantman

Looks like we're getting David/David for definate then. Yay.

Brooke shouldn't have left, although she's going to better than the rest of them in terms of actual long-term success. She's got the whole indie-instrument-girl thing going for her. Likewise with Jason, although he's a boy. Kristy'll probably do well in country, and Carly'll find something to do.

I honestly don't care that much anymore. Jason's the only really good one left, and I still would've preferred Carly or Brooke. The rest are total bores, and if it's David/Syesha/David as the final three, then I'm not watching.

Edited by tiarnantman

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tiarnantman

So, more than a week after Cook's win ( -_- ), here's how successful I reckon each'll be, in order:

1) David Cook. I don't like him much, but they're pushing him so hard, and he's so popular. It seems inevitable that he'll do well.

2) Brooke White. She has the whole sweet indie/instrumentalist thing going for her, her Songs from the Attic album did terrifically on iTunes (without any promotion may I add), and she just has that aura. Trust me, she'll succeed. Probably more so than D. Cook, but I don't wanna be too presumptuous.

3) Kristy Lee Cook. The season's sole country singer. A sweet girl. Great looking. 100 times more talented than Taylor Swift. Yup, she'll do well.

4) Jason Castro. He's like Brooke, although I don't think he'll do quite as well. He'll still be successful though. :)

5) Carly Smithson. It's hard to fit her into a picture or scene, but she's way, way too good not to do reasonably well at the very least. I'd love to say that she'll be the girl to bring Heart-esque, female-lead power-rock/pop back, but I'll leave her at number five for the time being.

6) Syesha Mercado. She'll do broadway, and I can see her being successful in modelling and acting as well. I don't like her much, but there's potential, even in the R&B/pop scene.

7) David Archuleta. I think he'll have a good first year, and I think he has a very good, soothing voice...but I just can't see him succeeding long-term, unless he tries Disney.

8) Ramiele Malubay. Some sort of show-thing with Danny Noriega? It's possible. And she's got a good voice too.

9) Amanda Overmyer. I think she'll gain a bit of a cult following, but I can't see her going too far. I just don't feel there's a niche in the market for her style. The same argument could be made for Carly, but Carly's a lot more talented.

10) Michael Johns. Meh. His following will help him out a bit, but the best I can see him doing is having a reasonably successful duet-single with Carly, before following behind as she grows more and more successful.

11) Chikezie. Sorry, I don't see him doing much at all.

12) David Hernandez. See Chikezie, although he'll probably be worse off. The whole stripper-controversy-thing's worn off already, so he's as good as done.

Edited by tiarnantman

Dude do you know that your sig says the read Idols instead of the real idols.

Also I pretty much agree with you, but I believe that Castro will fill the second spot unless like you said Archy does the Disney. My reasons for Castro is that for one people seem to love his stupid pot head answers to questions, also he will put out an album similar to Jack Johnson, who is mind blowing hot right now for reason I can't really see, but chick and many people in college love listening to that Jack Johnson stuff. So i believe that because of the success of Johnson is what will help Castro be successful.