Hasbro buys back GI Joe, Transformers etc video library

http://www.playthings.com/article/CA6560769.html

PAWTUCKET, R.I.—Hasbro has reacquired worldwide distribution rights to the Sunbow library of Hasbro-related programming from TV-Loonland for an undisclosed sum.

Under the terms of the deal, Hasbro has regained ownership of nearly 1,000 episodes of TV programming featuring more than 30 of the toymaker’s key brands, including G.I. Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, Mr. Potato Head and Connect Four. The acquisition effectively doubles Hasbro’s content library to nearly 2,000 episodes of programming.

“As we deliver new immersive entertainment experiences to audiences worldwide, it was extremely important that we had the rights to fully control the usage of our intellectual properties,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s chief operating officer. “Entertainment is becoming increasingly important in helping us to strengthen and build our brands globally, and this will enable us to engage consumers in new and exciting ways.”

TV-Loonland CEO Simon Flamank called the deal “mutually beneficial.”

“It allows us to repay the majority of our outstanding debt and invest in new strategic opportunities, while providing Hasbro with the ability to bring its world-class brands to diverse audiences in new and entertaining ways,” he said.

TV-Loonland is a brand management company focused primarily on the children's and youth market. It’s focus is “high-quality content,” which it develops and produces in house as well as co-produces with third party producers and partners. The company is headquartered in Munich, Germany. It maintains U.S. offices in Miami.

Awesome. I kind of hope Hasbro will release some of that stuff on DVD.

Under the terms of the deal, Hasbro has regained ownership of nearly 1,000 episodes of TV programming featuring more than 30 of the toymaker’s key brands, including G.I. Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, Mr. Potato Head and Connect Four. The acquisition effectively doubles Hasbro’s content library to nearly 2,000 episodes of programming.

Explain. What does Connect Four have to do with TV episodes?

Unless there is a Connect Four Cartoon out there that I'm missing? :shifty:

Explain. What does Connect Four have to do with TV episodes?

Unless there is a Connect Four Cartoon out there that I'm missing? :shifty:

I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember there being a Mr. Potato Head cartoon either, but that would've been pretty cool if there was one.

Hopefully they'll release the Transformers and GI Joes on DVD for reasonable prices, unlike the last sets that came out. They're one of the few cartoons from that era that I think still hold up.

They were expensive?

I picked all 3/4 series up for about £30/35 all together.