Death Note Remade

TGC

Vertigo Entertainment developing U.S. remake of Death Note

If production notes from Shutter and The Strangers are to be believed, U.S. production company Vertigo Entertainment is remaking Death Note, the popular manga turned anime turned live-action movie franchise.

Vertigo, the company behind remakes of Japanese horror films like The Grudge and Dark Water, has hired Vlas and Charley Parlapanides to write the screenplay.

Created by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, Death Note centers on a high school student who sets out to rid the world of evil using a supernatural notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it. He becomes embroiled in a tense game of cat and mouse by an idiosyncratic detective named L.

Courtesy of Newsarama

Hahahaha oh man. I hope there's at least one EPIC POTATO CHIP scene.

Also, even if I'm not fond of him Zac Efron has to play Light. I mean, just look at him.

Not a huge anime fan so I can't speak for the source material as to what will suck more but I'd imagine with a name like Leonardo DiCaprio attached to Akira that it could be really good. However, given the production company of Death Note, one could assume that it will probably suck more.

Can't really tell at this point though.

This borders between a bad idea and an awful idea. Are they gonna try and market it as a serious horror movie or what? And how are they gonna implement enough of the storyline into the movie?

Oh well, it'll probably make back whatever super-low budget they have on the movie in any case.

Also, my friend and I, when all the comic book movies started about 3-4 years ago, totally said that once they ran out of comic books they'd buy up popular anime and make movies of them. And here we are.

The japs can't even do a good movie version, I doubt the Americans could.

The only good thing about the Japanese one, was that Ryuk looked badass in it... Otherwise... epic phailz.

I never saw it and I probably never will (aside from

), but I do have to admit

That the way L beat Light was rather clever, and I would have preferred that in the actual canon to bringing in Near and Mello and stretching things on further.

Also, the best casting choice was totally Takeshi "Chairman" Kaga as Soichiro Yagami.